Installing from a (kind of) fresh slate.

Quickstep192

Silver Supporter
Jun 30, 2022
Annapolis MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
To accommodate some new retaining walls, I removed my pump, valves and filter. It can’t go back the way it was, so I’m kind of starting from a fresh slate and I’m looking for installation suggestions.

The old installation used a three way valve for the skimmers, but I’m wondering if that’s the best way. Is there benefit to having a valve on each pipe?

The filter is a functional D.E. filter, but I’d consider replacing it, particularly if I could find a shorter one (current filter is 42” tall).

Should I consider a different type of filter?

I’d love some input.

0227DE16-70CB-4B43-BD8E-DAD11606A854.jpeg

QS,

I think it is always better to have individual valves on each skimmer, and the main drain. This allows for better control.

I personally love my large cartridge filter. Dirt simple plumbing, no MPV or backwash valve to go bad or leak, really low back pressure and no DE to screw with.

But... I doubt that would help with your height issue.

When you open for the year, is your pool green? Do you have to backwash several times to get it back to clear? If so, DE might be better for you. We don't close down here, so I clean my filter twice a year.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: newdude
Thanks for the input.

I have a solid cover, so my water is generally crystal clear when I open the pool in the spring. The flip side of that is that the cover weighs a ton, but it seems like a reasonable trade off to not have to deal with a swamp in the spring.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
The flip side of that is that the cover weighs a ton, but it seems like a reasonable trade off to not have to deal with a swamp in the spring.
With proper chemistry/closing, mesh covers aren't an issue. My 'mesh' is 98% or 99% solid. It's woven so tightly that you can't see daylight if you hold it up to the sun. It may be argued that the little bit of light that does get through may make an already bad problem a little worse, but I don't see the solid cover performing any miracles.

Anywho, whatever you're doing works for you and that's GREAT. Keep it up. (y)

Here's what they did for mine last summer. They used a 3 way to seperate the 2 skimmers and another 3 way to select between skimmers and main drain. It functions the same as three 2 way valves (which I would have preferred).

Screenshot_20230131_182200_Gallery.jpg

I also always vote for honking big cartridge filter. Add a 3 way between the pump and filter and keep the waste line. You don't need it often but when it comes in handy, it's awesome.

Screenshot_20230131_182838_Gallery.jpg

Newdude, your setup is super clean.

Would you mind sharing the model of your filter and the brand of your cover?

A cover that blocks most light but doesn’t weigh a ton seems ideal.

Newdude, your setup is super clean.
Thanks. It was designed for simplicity.

model of your filter
Sta-rite S8M500. It has 2 large filters that are heavy, but the housing/clamps are all but indestructible. The filters smack directly into the housing and the big knobs on the clamps are tool free to open.

The Pentair clean and clear plus 420/520 is another great filter. It has 4 easier to maneuver cartridges with some extra parts holding them together and a steel belt clamp that opens with a socket wrench.
brand of your cover?
Looploc 'dense mesh'

Screenshot_20230131_185104_Gallery.jpg

*to be fair to the other brands, Jandy, Hayward and a few others make cart filters just fine too. Jim and I just happen to be Pentair/Sta-Rite people.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.