thestooge1

Sep 23, 2023
Plano TX
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Several months ago I posted about installing a swcg and received great advise. Thank you!
I have a 38,000 gal pool with attached hot tub in a heavily treed Texas backyard. It still has the original Compool CP3400 controller from 20 years ago.
My goal is to convert to an automation system and add a chlorine generator… which means an upgrade to a vsp as well. I’ve been patiently waiting to find crazy deals on components as I hate paying retail. I did purchase the Calimar 3hp vsp and pentair-compatible controls from pool supply unlimited, but when it arrived my buddy’s pump died just before a freeze and I gave it to him… reordered and now waiting on a long back order.
While waiting, I found a new (or perhaps just never installed) Pentair Easytouch 8 for $100 (pictured). I’ve tested and it is an 8 board, but the power center may have been a 4 as it only had 4 relays. I was also given an old Polaris eos command center which had 8 of the same relays, so I added 4 of them to the EZTouch.
I purchased a new (never used) intellichlor IC40 with a new ic power center, as well as an aftermarket (made by Discount Salt Pools) compatible intellichlor 40 cell… I know the 40 isn’t ideal for my pool size, but for $200 for them, I couldn’t say no.
While I’m waiting on the back ordered pump to arrive, I am going to install the EZtouch, and build out the jsnode-pool controller. The swcg will be added and vsp changed out as soon as it arrives.
i have the following to account for:
-Hot tub and Pool lights
-Heater
-Polaris P40 cleaner with booster pump
-2 actuators for pool/hot tub selection
-Water feature (manual valve but will be adding actuator).

From my reading here, it seems that the raspberry pi jsnode-poolController should get me the remote controls and extended automation I want. I was just about to purchase everything needed to do the standalone pixie setup when I found the eztouch at such a crazy deal.
Now Im thinking that the combo will give me the easiest install/conversion while also allowing me the control I want.

Before jumping in (see what I did there?), I wanted to post this and get comments and suggestions from the fantastic folks here first. I know the eztouch model is dated, but is there anything I’ll be missing once I add the jsnode?

I’ve added pics and will add more below as it’s not allowing me to post some of the larger images.
Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2252.jpeg
    IMG_2252.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2250.jpeg
    IMG_2250.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2249.jpeg
    IMG_2249.jpeg
    372.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Hulaomr
So I know I was “a bit” wordy on this thread which makes it hard to read. Sorry.

I do have a question regarding jsnode-Poolcontroller. I have installed everything I can to be ready to install the new easytouch.

The question is, will I need to install and get the easytouch configured using the front panel and then install jsnode, or can I get all of the hardware hooked up and use Janode to actually configure it?

Also, am I going to run into problems with the default/new firmware installed? The software is 1.050 and the Boot is 1.010.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Most folks here seem to be running jsnode-pool controller with an IntelliCenter which may be why you got no answers about running with an EasyTouch.

You may get more advice posting your questions on GitHub.

Reactions: thestooge1
I just installed a used Easytouch2 8 to replace an Intermatic manual clock. It had 8 relays. It was configured prior to me buying it. I installed the Nodejs-controller and used it to reconfigure the Easytouch the way I need it.
Thank you! Mine is "new", and it seemed to test okay... no errors, and all was working (though not fully connected or programmed) until I left it on for an hour or so. The relays started buzzing... and I soon saw a small bit of smoke from one of the transistors and the low voltage breaker tripped. I ended up buying new transistors (ULN2803APG) from Amazon as I have seen recommended. That stopped the breaker from tripping, but when I put the system on manual and try to turn on function, I am not getting the relays to trigger.

I am not sure how to tell if this board is just gone, but I may just buy the hardware for my Raspi to make this stand alone and just use the enclosure. I'm looking now to see what additional hw I would need as I already have the breakers and the high voltage relays.
Erg!

To follow up and close this out, I have finished the Nixie Standalone installation and am happier with the results than I can tell you.
I rebuilt it over and over again until I learned the ins and outs, and can now go from a blank Raspberrypi to a fully loaded and running system in under an hour.

Attached are some pics of the final product... well almost final. I am still waiting on my Calimar 3hp VSP to arrive in which I'll connect my SWGs as well.

Thank you for everyone on this site who has posted help to anyone regarding the controller... Yall are amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_2679.jpg
    IMG_2679.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2678.jpg
    IMG_2678.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2681.jpg
    IMG_2681.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg