Installing a manual button/switch/etc. to activate waterfall??

millsryno

Jan 29, 2021
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello, I've got a pentair intellicenter at a property I run a vacation rental at. I keep things on a tight schedule and don't allow guests any control over the equipment. My guests love the pool waterfall so I run it every day for 5 hours. It's on an automatic schedule and I tell them what hours it runs and if they want a different time frame, just let me know. Maybe half a dozen times a year somebody requests different times, so no big deal. Pretty much set it and forget it. Because it is set it and forget it, it runs even if guests aren't using the pool, which has never bothered me.

I've been doing my own chemistry lately, though, and noticed that the waterfall really throws my ph off. I'm thinking I would be better off letting the guests have control over when the waterfall runs (and only that). I think it will actually run less (saving me on chemicals and electricity) if I gave guests control. Plus they would be able to use it when they want, likely keeping them even happier.

One thing I have learned about vacation rentals is you have to keep it simple. If you use electronics, they need to be limited and super simple. No menus to scroll through, not a ton of buttons. Nothing that gets lost or broken. Etc. I like to be an analog as possible. Pretty much like turn a dial or press a button and it turns on for an hour or two. Hardwired is always better than battery operated, but both options would be worth exploring. I would want to mount the device away from the pool equipment in a semi-convenient location for them to access it.

All that being said, is there a way to set up a manual egg timer or timer button/switch that activates the waterfall for a set amount of time then turns off automatically? Then if the guest wanted to turn it on again, they simply just go press the button again.

I'm guessing this is one of those things that is super simple, but with how automate things are nowadays with equipment, I don't even know if this is possible.

Mills,

Could be done several different ways..

How is the waterfall turned on?? By a valve, or are you turning on a waterfall pump? If a separate pump, is it single speed or VS??

Is the equipment pad open to your guests?

Thanks,

Jim R

Mills,

Could be done several different ways..

How is the waterfall turned on?? By a valve, or are you turning on a waterfall pump? If a separate pump, is it single speed or VS??

Is the equipment pad open to your guests?

Thanks,

Jim R
Hi Jim,

It is currently turned on through my intellicenter. It ramps up the speed of my VS pump (only pump the pool has) and turns the valve to open the waterfall spillway and, in turn, shuts off the return flow to the normal in-wall returns.

The equipment pad is open to guests, but I prefer they not go back there. I purposefully have overgrown bushes and trees to discourage them from going back there.

Thanks.

I’m with Jim on the iS4 remote. That way it would still integrate with your IntelliCenter, and you’d still have master control over it. I have an iS4 remote on my spa and I personally love it. It’s just 4 simple buttons, which makes it essentially fool proof. You could even program the remaining 3 buttons to control other aspects of your system, like pool lights if you have them.

Reactions: Jimrahbe