Installing a light through wall / liner -- drilling?

May 22, 2017
Portland/OR
Folks,

Thinking about installing a light in a 24' above ground pool we installed last year. Since its still partially drained from winterizing, I figured now is the time to think about it before refilling and getting ready for summer.

I've seen the return jet lights, but see mixed reviews. Looks like dedicated lights are a better way to go.

If I wanted to install one slightly lower than the return jet height, is there any challenges with just drilling with a hole saw bit through the metal wall? Is it 1.5" in diameter?

Do I need to worry about the hole saw tearing up the liner as it pushes through the metal wall? Is there some tricks here to make sure that doesn't happen?

Thanks for any insight and pointers.

-J

I installed a Pentair Aqualuminator in my AG pool. It does have the option to use it as a return but I didn't want that so I simply plugged off that part. I used a hole saw as you mentioned. It was fairly easy to cut through the wall. If you go slow once you get it established and not wanting to "walk", it's easy to control the remainder. I had 1/8" foam to guard from grabbing the liner but the foam is more fragile than the vinyl and I had no issue with that. After the hole was cut in the metal I used a razor blade to cut the vinyl. Rest easy, anxiety level at 2 .

DaneCE,

Thanks for the confirmation. I have foam insulation also on the back side of the wall; so I'll keep that in mind. Did you seal the exposed metal with any primer or paint to help prevent any rusting if moisture got back there?

What did you fill /plug the return with? Epoxy?

For others, what other in wall AG pool lights that are wired have been used successfully? I'm seeing some Nicheless ones out there...but trying to find one that won't go out in a year or so. Seems like the reviews are really mixed out there.

Thanks,

-J

DaneCE,

Thanks for the confirmation. I have foam insulation also on the back side of the wall; so I'll keep that in mind. Did you seal the exposed metal with any primer or paint to help prevent any rusting if moisture got back there?

What did you fill /plug the return with? Epoxy?

For others, what other in wall AG pool lights that are wired have been used successfully? I'm seeing some Nicheless ones out there...but trying to find one that won't go out in a year or so. Seems like the reviews are really mixed out there.

Thanks,

-J

I didn't seal the cut edge of the hole with anything. Since the light seals tight around the hole, there shouldn't be any chance of moisture getting to the cut. It never hurts to do this anyway, overkill is good. My pool has no liner in it now and after 2 years with the light there's no sign of rust at the cut edge.

I brought the light housing with me to Lowe's and found an end cap to glue in place to close-off the return flow opening.

I don't recall seeing the Hayward model during my search for a light. Is it fairly new? Do you know the price? It looks nice.

Its on Amazon for $113. I think a little cheaper elsewhere.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002EL3ZF0/?coliid=I25644EZ8SUR3&colid=1373KYG93QCC9&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The reviews seem to be good as it comes with a hole saw bit for the correct size and step by step instructions. But its Halogen...not LED. I'm surprised they don't have an LED version out for this application....

My concern is, I want to drill out a hole that will be versatile. As you know, once you use a hole saw, you're pretty much done as you don't have the pilot bit to help you out. So if I go with a particular size hole through the metal wall...I want to choose wisely on the diameter :)

-Jeremy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.