Installing a Hayward Dyna Skim skimmer on Intex 12x24 xtr rectangle pool

LeighAnnL

Apr 16, 2022
Roanoke Virginia
I'm new to the above ground pool thing. I've watched many videos on how to install the hayward skimmer but they've all been on round pools. I'm not sure where the skimmer should be placed on the pool and how high the water should be as I place it. On my pool the top bars bow inward until the pool full. I'm nervous that if the water level is not where it's supposed to be and I install the skimmer, once I fill the pool up it will stretch and leak....please help!

It looks like @cowboycasey has a Dyna Skim on his rectangle pool. The thread below has some pics he posted of the install...

Reactions: Mdragger88
I had the same pool and installed the Hayward wide mouth skimmer I will say it was the single best thing I did besides using a salt generator. I installed mine on the side that the inlet & return holes were in to simplify the plumbing, I put it just off center between 2 of the U shaped legs. I installed mine with the pool full of water I split the "butterfly" gasket so I had 2 separate gaskets & mounted the skimmer as high as I could go without getting in to the upper seam. I glued the gasket to the skimmer from the outside of the pool I reached over put the cover where I wanted it, poked holes through the 4 corner screw holes with picks & started those 4 screws then poked the other holes & started each screw 1 at a time then tightened all the screws in a criss cross pattern to evenly tighten them then cut the hole out with a razor knife. I had the skimmer for nearly a year before I got the guts to install it, it was very easy to do but hard to convince myself it was okay to cut a big hole in the side of my pool.

I am sorry I looked at the skimmer again & I put the bottom of the seam at the top of the skimmer opening to get a couple of inches more depth, I figured that part would not be under water anyway---never any problems

I am looking to do this on mine, what are pros/cons to the std vs widemouth skimmer for this application? I have the wall mount skimmer which is better than nothing, but certainly no where near as good as a proper wall skimmer.

I am sorry I looked at the skimmer again & I put the bottom of the seam at the top of the skimmer opening to get a couple of inches more depth, I figured that part would not be under water anyway---never any problems
I see you have the Krystal Clear system, is that one working good for you? I also need to replace the crappy one that came with my pool and was looking at this one, see it has mixed reviews.

The Krystal Clear system works good when it works, the electrode seems to last 1 year so the 2 year warranty will get you through 2 maybe 3 years depending on when it goes out & inventory, my last one quit & they had no inventory so by the time they got it in warranty was expired & they wouldn't honor it but for the price really no big deal. It will set false low or high salt codes at any time more often low then high sometimes you can turn the plug to the electrode over to fix. I am going to try to get mine through 1 more season on the custom build 14'x24' I am building now but plan on replacing it with better components when it fails.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.