Installing a Hayward ARQ9

eublet

Gold Supporter
May 24, 2016
Mobile, AL
Hey guys. I have a home with an older Polaris board and Polaris SaltWater generator. I've been told that Polaris is out of business, and my SWG no longer works. I've been using bleach for 2 years. Very tired of it.

My Polaris board still works just fine, but I'd like to replace the SWG with a Hayward ARQ9. My pool is about 25,000 gallons. I'm not sure if I can use the Hayward with the Polaris board, meaning I don't believe they'll integrate with one another. That's okay with me for now though, because the board will get replaced sooner or later. I just want to be sure the SWG will work correctly. I've been reading on this as much as I can, and it seems it could be possible.

Does anyone know for sure or have any suggestions on this? I can stomach the cost of buying the equipment, and I'm pretty handy with pipes/electrical. I don't want to pay someone to install it if possible. Thanks!

The AQR9 is too small for your pool. It is rated for 25000 gallons. It would have to be run at 100% 24 hours per day to maybe add enough chlorine to your water each day.

You need a SWCG rated for at least 40000 gallons.

I am not following you on the Polaris and such. I do not have experience with non-Pentair automation.

Thanks for the response! I was wondering if I'd need to go with a bigger unit as well!

Basically what I mean is I have a Polaris EOS control board. I'm reading that the AquaRite SWCG will integrate with that, and I've clicked all through the board settings on my EOS but don't see anywhere where that is configured. It could be on some jumpers inside the unit. Nevertheless, I'm wondering if I can just install the Hayward independently of the EOS. From reading the manual, it appears that there is a flow sensor that will shut down the chlorine generation when there is no water flow. I typically run my pool between 8-12 hours throughout the swimming season (Alabama gulf coast where it's hot and humid), so I'm wondering if I can just let the Hayward do it's then when it senses water flow to chlorinate the pool, with me adjusting the dial as necessary to get it right.

Does that makes sense! Thanks again for resonding!

Does your automation have relays? Would be best to run the power to the SWCG through the pump relay so power is removed from the SWCG when the pump is not scheduled to run.

It is highly recommended that a SWCG have the power removed from it when the pump is not running. The flow switch is a secondary safety device.

I would suggest that you replace the automation with an automation box that has the integrated SWG.

The Hayward AquaPlus or Easytouch with integrated SWG and cell should work for you.

You can look at the Intellicenter or the Omnilogic for internet access.

Hmmm, didn't know that was out there. I'm wondering if I could tackle all that. I also have a spillover spa, so I have an extra pump for that, plus two electronic valves and a air pump for the bubble generation. Wondering if I could do all that myself. I'm a IT guy, so I'm comfortable with information, reading manuals, etc. Just wondering if I could pull it off DYI-style. What do you think?

LOL. Thanks James. What I guess I'm really wondering is how easy an automation center is to install/setup/configure just based on manuals. I've comfortable with electical wiring, and used to install home security back in the day. I've can work on/repair computer equipment, and am a semi-programmer on the side. I know enough things to know that sometimes a manual doesn't have enough info in it. ;-)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.