Installation in progress, need order of operations for my water!

JeaniB

Gold Supporter
May 30, 2019
Midwest
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Installing my 32' X 16' X 52" ABG. I have a sand filter with SWG. I have been reading to help prevent mistakes. This site has been a huge resource for me and I haven't even put water in my pool yet!
I understand that I need to add bleach to get the FC where I want it, then allow the SWG to maintain. I also understand to add CYA to 70-80. Then of course I need most of the 400lbs of salt currently in the back of my car :(
So what do I do first? CYA, then chlorine, then salt? I am anticipating my TA and CH to be very high as I live in an area with a lot of limestone in the ground. I used to keep aquariums and had a reverse osmosis system and muriatic acid to allow me to maintain my pH. How will this affect my pool?
Thanks in advance for your guidance! I would like to do as much of this right the first time as I can.

Focus on the basics first...
1. Add chlorine (aka regular bleach) on day 1 of fill for an FC goal of about 3 ppm. Use PoolMath
2. Get a sock soaking with granular stabilizer. Squeeze often. Shoot for about 60-70 for now as you can always go up but not down.
3. Check/adjust the pH into the mid 7s, usually never over 7.8. Use muriatic acid, and never add the acid at the same time/location as the chlorine.
4. Dump the salt and mix. Give it 24 hours before turning on the SWG, then monitor your FC production and levels closely.

On day 2, switch to the SWG and make sure to keep the FC and CYA balanced as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Once that's all good, then you can mess with the TA if it's elevated. Good luck!

Reactions: JeaniB
Help,... the guy who is doing the leveling for me described using something I believe he called “ limestone dust” as a base. He explained placing it in layers and wetting in between the layers. Said it would almost be like a concrete slab when done. I have a gorilla pad, then 1/2 insulation board then the tarp that came with the pool to go over the base.
However, when I came home today, this is what was here. Not what I was expecting. Will this work ??

Attachments

• B10DD771-DF80-4B33-B48F-C0D28F772D5C.jpeg
    B10DD771-DF80-4B33-B48F-C0D28F772D5C.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 14
So,... do I need to tell this guy to just stop now? He is planning to bring more of this gravel tomorrow. I believe he plans to also build a retaining wall. Will this stay level?

Attachments

• 46105FBF-8D1B-4EE4-8490-9A412F0ACDFB.jpeg
    46105FBF-8D1B-4EE4-8490-9A412F0ACDFB.jpeg
    815.1 KB · Views: 10
That doesn't look like anything that would compact well, and it certainly isn't stone dust! Someone with more experience than I will be along shortly -- we'll get you answers!

In the meantime, I'd call whoever is doing the leveling and ask them what that is and why it was put down instead of what the guy said he was going to put down. You're paying for it, be assertive!

Thank you!! Spoke with him this morning. He said it is the same base they use for roads? That it will pack and stay, I think he called it “ self locking”? I’m kinda sick over this! This is beyond my expertise so I’m not sure what to do.

If he's planning to use a plate compacter on it, it should be fine.
Thank you!! Spoke with him this morning. He said it is the same base they use for roads? That it will pack and stay, I think he called it “ self locking”? I’m kinda sick over this! This is beyond my expertise so I’m not sure what to do.
If he uses a plate compactor, it should be okay. The sharp edges tend to interlock and when water hits the dust it is almost like concrete. I have zero experience with that fine stuff you have, but I have seen bigger stuff and it did pack down smooth

Reactions: JeaniB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.