Installation failure. Ripped off by installers. Don't know what to do.

TerranGuy

Jun 30, 2021
Seattle, WA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I decided I needed additional help finishing up the install of my pool (and I wanted to make sure it was done right) so I went with someone who used to be a certified pool operator/installer who was taking side work. Huge mistake. He didn't follow (or read) directions, even argued with me when I tried to have him follow directions. I should have fired him on the spot. He didn't even compact the sand bed so now it moves/sinks as you walk around on it!

Now I have the pool wall up and the liner in, and the pool wall slipped out of the bottom track, in fact, I am pretty sure he knew this had happened and just did not tell me. In other areas he even used masonry sand/water to backwash under the track, even though I had recycled concrete 3/8" minus and a plate compactor for any areas that weren't level!

From what I can guess, there is one area of the pool that is slightly unlevel and I need to raise the track up. The track isn't even level, it is angled slightly outwards. It is really hard to work with because the sand is pushing on the other side. To make things harder the pool is sunk half way into the ground so it is hard to get at the pavers. I even considered just throwing out / selling the pool for awhile.

What would you guys do? Should I lift the track up to level (maybe with plastic shims?) and backfill with a small amount of concrete? would that secure the track? I'm assuming I need to remove the liner. Possibly the pool wall? I don't know what to do with the pool foam coves and the sand resting against the wall, rip them out / pull them back?
In the pictures provided, note that the wall is obviously out of one track, and it is not down all of the way in another area of the track.

My permits expire at the end of the month too.

Attachments

• PXL_20220708_161429949.jpg
    PXL_20220708_161429949.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20220708_161446518.jpg
    PXL_20220708_161446518.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20220705_225051466.jpg
    PXL_20220705_225051466.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Pool Design-2.png
    Pool Design-2.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 58
A break down of my expenses right now:

Heat Pump $2,661.11
Pump, Salt Cell, and Filter $2,575.00
Excavation $4,200.00
Pool $7,649.66
Electrical $1,000
Permits $600
Misc $1,000
Labor $2,080
= $21,765.77

Small Deck
$1,856.00 (Labor)
$1,920.00 (Materials)
= $3,776.00

Final Electrical
$600 (Not yet done - guess)
= $26,141.77

personally - just me - I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you are going to back fill. that little section not in the track, but inside the track area is probably fine.

now having said that, I also can't see what you are saying is out of level - that might be a bigger problem than it looks to me. how is the top of the pool for level?

personally - just me - I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you are going to back fill. that little section not in the track, but inside the track area is probably fine.

now having said that, I also can't see what you are saying is out of level - that might be a bigger problem than it looks to me. how is the top of the pool for lev
Thank you for your response! I'm waiting for it to get dark so I can use my laser level. Will tell you the results in a few hours.

Here are my readings of the wall using the laser level, measured from the top wall near the uprights. Ignore the number themselves the spread between the number is what matters. Obviously where the wall isn't completely in the track, the track is slightly lower than the reading.

1- 1 1/2"
2- 1 1/4"
3- 1 1/8"
4- 1 1/8"
5- 1 1/4"
6- 1 3/8"
7- 1 1/8"
8- 7/8"
9- 5/8"
10- 1/2"
11- 5/8" (Problem Area)
12- 1"
13- 1 1/4"
14- 1 3/8"
15- 1 1/4"
16- 7/8"
17- 1"
18- 1 1/2"

Just to confirm I see the variance as slightly less than an inch all the way around the 24' round pool. The lowest reading was 5/8th from my random laser height and the highest 1 1/2". So 7/8th from the highest upright/wall to the lowest. Is that still your suggestion?

Just to confirm I see the variance as slightly less than an inch all the way around the 24' round pool. The lowest reading was 5/8th from my random laser height and the highest 1 1/2". So 7/8th from the highest upright/wall to the lowest. Is that still your suggestion?
that is what I got from your numbers, less than 1 inch. I would think that is fine, but it has been many years since I had a hard sided pool (and it was installed on uneven concrete), will defer to more recent installs/experts.

Reactions: TerranGuy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did you laser measure? I don't think you could trust those readings without a laser transit level doing the circumference.
I set up the laser tripod, and then used a ruler on the top of the wall with the top rails in place to make sure it was the correct (& final shape). I recorded the height of the laser near the uprights on the ruler as I walked along the entire pool. Looks like I found the culprit. Two of the pavers are off by about 3/4th of an inch versus where the wall wants to be. I temporarily put shims in and the wall locked in place like butter.

Now I have at least 5 options:
1.) Use water to backwash with masonry sand underneath.
2.) Use water to backwash with recycled concrete (3/8" minus & then shifted using a net) underneath.
3.) Pour concrete underneath.
4.) Partially remove the wall and redo the two pavers by adding stamped recycled concrete underneath.
5.) Completely remove the wall and relevel all of the pavers but the other 14 look fine. Only two seem to be off.

Suggestions? I have removed the liner on that side and reengaged lawn spikes to hold up the wall while we figure it out.

Attachments

• GAHHHH1.jpg
    GAHHHH1.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 4
  • GAHHHH2.jpg
    GAHHHH2.jpg
    646.7 KB · Views: 4
I personally think it is going to be hard to pack a secure base from the outside working in and under. But, being here and the pool there, can't really say what I would do. But, for your next leveling, the better thing to do lacking a fixed transit head, is make a simple water level with a piece of clear hose. Determine first measure to be your standard, assumed highest point, and then check each other against it. Most accurate way to level.

I personally think it is going to be hard to pack a secure base from the outside working in and under. But, being here and the pool there, can't really say what I would do. But, for your next leveling, the better thing to do lacking a fixed transit head, is make a simple water level with a piece of clear hose. Determine first measure to be your standard, assumed highest point, and then check each other against it. Most accurate way to level.
So you would pull the wall away and level the pavers by adding material under them? Or will pulling the wall inwards ruin the track?
The spikes to hold the bottom rails have been removed since we had started filling.

Also off topic, when I'm filling can I just keep the top rails, uprights, and the clips that hold the top rails in place or should I add the top covers?

Attachments

• GAHHHH3.jpg
    GAHHHH3.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 3
The wall bottom not being in the track worries me also. It is not just the levelness alone.
It turned out to be two pavers being lower than the surrounding pavers/ground that the wall track is resting on. I am unsure of the best way to repair. Please see pictures in the earlier reply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.