Central Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I plan to install a dry-set travertine deck around my pool. We live in Virginia. The travertine coping will be install in approximately 3 weeks. The plaster for the gunite pool will not be installed until in the Spring due to the temperature. I was wondering should I have the deck people install the Travertine paver deck now after the coping has been installed or have the deck installed in the Spring? I want everything to be pretty much ready by the time opening pool season comes about without much delay; however, I am not sure if installing the Travertine deck now while the weather is colder will harm the deck through the winter (I cannot seal it now due to the temperature -plan to use Miracle 511 impregnator). The Travertine deck will approximately be 8' to 9' all around the pool. Also, not sure that the plaster people will trash the travertine decking in the Spring as they walk (and hopefully not drive) over the Travertine deck when plastering the pool. Any thoughts or recommendations? This is my first pool, so not sure if plaster people load a truck like when they blew the gunite into the pool and need to be close to the pool opening or not. Thanks.

I just had my plaster put in and no damage to travertine at all the plaster guys came back and pressure washed everything. I would suggest get your deck done earlier otherwise it will be a mud pit for you during the winter.

I am in SC and they wet set my travertine over concrete. If it is being dry set keep in mind it could heave with freezing and make sure your installer will come back and do a 1 year reset of the tiles that are out of whack.

Thanks for the suggestion. Glad to hear that they cleaned up everything. I would not want a mud pit if I can help it. I'm just waiting for the coping & tile to be set first since then hopefully the deck people can come by. I have the pool people doing the coping & tile, and another contractor is doing the actual travertine deck. Yes, if he sets the pavers this winter, I will definitely ask him to come back to fix any movement from heaving. Did you have your deck sealed? If so, what did you decide to go with on your travertine? If you are willing to share any pics, that would be great. Thanks.

I have not sealed my decking yet still deciding on the sealer.
e6f208df54d4b59123c30b9a6dfcb6f9.jpg
6af8a590de3460a53d1f8350aff254f0.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.