Install hand rail underwater in existing pool

wysocki

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2015
Covina,CA
My pool is about 25 years old, replastered about 15 years ago and in good shape. I just had the concrete decking overlaid with 1" thin pavers. Now the wife wants a railing installed to ease access along the steps into the pool. Shouldn't be a problem anchoring it through the pavers into the concrete with On-Deck Mounted Anchor. But is it possible to anchor it in the pool bottom without draining the pool? I picture a long (4') bit extension and a masonry bit drilling 4 holes in the bottom to anchor the rail (using pool vac line to suck up the drilling). But is the plaster/gunite/whatever strong enough then to support the rail?

wy,

Here is a pic of a type of handrail that does not need to be anchored underwater..

dbtgallery.php

Thanks,

Jim R.

Wow! You've opened up a huge can of worms that I never knew existed, James!
I've never heard of bonding before. I always "knew" that all my pool electrical devices had to be tied to a common "ground" before, but I've now been through a few hours of videos by Mike Holt about this topic and it's fascinating.
I'm still studying it, but as of right now, I'm actually getting that my new railing, installed on the deck out of the water, has zero potential. Therefore I don't want to energize it with bonding!? I took a meter to my deck and I get no voltage from it to the water now. Wouldn't the rail inherit the same potential of the deck without deliberately connecting it to the plane?

Check your local codes - some require the handrail to go down, underwater, to the bottom step.

That would be a huge problem for folks using autocovers. I've never seen mention of this before.

I have a ladder that is on hinges so it raises out of the pool to allow the cover to close. My other handrail doesn't enter the water but rather hangs over it to allow the cover to close. Both were included in the bonding when constructed.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.