Insane Inflation

skimmerswimmer

Jul 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
Just checked my local Ocean State Job Lot store for their 2022 liquid chlorine prices. Two years ago, their 1 gallon 12.5% sodium hypochlorite was $2.99/gal. Last year it went up to $3.49/gal. The current "sale" price is now $4.99/gal. That is 66% inflation in 2 years. Think I'm going to run the pump fewer hours this coming season to make up the difference in cost.

If you can find one, a salt water chlorine generator eliminates the price shopping for chlorine.

My local mom & pop store used to be a great place to get 4-ups of muriatic acid in refillable 1 gallon jugs for cheap. Yesterday they charged me $10.79/gal for muriatic acid 😮😮😮. A couple of years ago it was $6.25/ gal.

I was able to find a fresh batch of liquid (granted, Pool Essentials) at Home Depot that was only a week out of the plant. 4 gallons for $14.98 + tax. The entire pallet sold out in just a matter of days.

Like @Newdude mentioned, did check at lowes. All the stock they had in the garden center was December production dated. :\

Last edited:
My boy is running track and drinks a protein drink everyday. Fairife protein 6 pack at costco is $16.99, everywhere else it just went up to $26.00. Had a grocery receipt in my jacket pocket from April 2020, a gallon of Lactaid milk was $3.29, today at Shoprite $5.89.

Reactions: cdjos
Yep. That was my point. There are plenty of folks, worldwide, that are hit hard by inflation. This group, not so much...

And chances are good that when inflation subsides, and it will, home prices will not go down correspondingly. They might correct a little, especially if they use interest rates to control inflation, but most of that 50% is in your pocket (well, will be, someday, when you sell).

My boy is running track and drinks a protein drink everyday. Fairife protein 6 pack at costco is $16.99, everywhere else it just went up to $26.00. Had a grocery receipt in my jacket pocket from April 2020, a gallon of Lactaid milk was $3.29, today at Shoprite $5.89.
I drink a premier protein every day (i use it as coffee creamer)- i think there’s been a shortage as they have been out of stock everywhere. I try to stock up on 15pks when sams puts them on sale for $18 - just ordered a pack yesterday as they were finally back in stock & they were $22. Definitely beats $7 for a 4pk @ the grocery store. Groceries in general have definitely increased since covid began, I don’t think they will ever go back to what they were.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don’t think they will ever go back to what they were.
I think you're right. Prices will go down, but not to what they were. I think inflation was mostly due to COVID, which jammed up the supply chain (not either President), but I'm sure corporations hid some extra profit in that excuse while they could get away with it. I don't expect chlorine and acid manufacturers were any different. SWGs are still high. Maybe I should buy three or four of them if they come down a little, before they double in price.

Ha, I remember the first time I said out loud "Geez, I used to pay a nickel for that candy bar!" (Yah, that's how old I am.) Over a dollar now, and missing two of the four almonds! You know what I'm talkin' about!! 🎶 "Some times you feel like a nut... Some times you don't..." 🎶 Shoot, I lost my train of thought, but now I want some candy...

Last edited:
Just checked Menard's. A gallon of 12.5% was $3.99/gallon when we put up our pool in Jun of 2020. Menard's website still lists $3.99/gallon currently.

I agree it’ll be a long while before things settle down. There can certainly be a crash in home prices. Ours experienced a $300k crash in 2009. There was a similar crash in the 80’s and 90’s. I also remember insane gas lines and prices at the pump as a kid.

The federal reserve created huge amounts of extra dollars and then both presidents are/were spending it. It’s basic math..more paper dollars being added to the chain = each dollar being worth less than it used to be.

Reactions: Wolfepack88
Yup... it is definitely insane... I'm a commercial electrical contractor so for example 4" SCH 40 PVC in January of 2020 cost us 140.37 per hundred feet and today it costs $829.00 per hundred feet. 1" SCH 40 was 25.39 per hundred and now it's 142.88 per hundred. Sad thing is that I don't see it coming back down.

• Wow
Reactions: Wolfepack88
but I'm sure corporations hid some extra profit in that excuse while they could get away with it.
No doubt. Just read the quarterly reports of oil and gas companies. I’m sure all will report record profits this quarter and for many to come, all based on Russia’s war on Ukraine. Restrictions on Russian imports means more demand on other sources, which allows those sources to charge higher prices, regardless of whether or not production prices increase. In the purest capitalistic sense, these companies are doing what they are supposed to do. It’s a mostly universal concept - until demand decreases, suppliers are free to raise prices. The real challenge comes into play with services like healthcare. There’s no limit on demand and with little to no price regulation, you end up with what we have in the U.S. - highest healthcare costs in the world (by a wide margin), yet a bottom performer on virtually any health outcome measurement.

(And therein lies the problem with stream of consciousness typing - from chlorine price inflation to healthcare…)

Yep. That was my point. There are plenty of folks, worldwide, that are hit hard by inflation. This group, not so much...

And chances are good that when inflation subsides, and it will, home prices will not go down correspondingly. They might correct a little, especially if they use interest rates to control inflation, but most of that 50% is in your pocket (well, will be, someday, when you sell).
The very interesting, but real concern down the road is if the federal government gets out of the housing business by guaranteeing loans through Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. If they do that, the 30 year mortgage goes the way of the dodo bird. Around the world 30 year mortgages don't exist because most banks would not loan money for 30 years to an individual, too much risk. I personally underwrote Fannie and Freddie and dealt with them when they almost went belly up. The "unofficial" backing by the US government kept them alive and that liability was kept off the US books. The government ended up making money when they did recover, however the debate about US government implicitly backing them still rages. If they ever say no, that would cause a generation of homeowners to lose a tremendous amount of equity in their homes because nobody could afford a 15 year mortgage at the value houses currently reside. So that would immediately re-value homes to a level that folks could afford. So the government is in a quandary especially with early baby boomers whose biggest asset might have been the equity in their house. If you crush that, you impoverish a huge amount of people. So for now the government still backs the housing market (which means we the taxpayers backstop the housing industry). Remember 07-08 was due to Mortgage backed securities really being worth Crud. So when can the government afford to cut that backstop and change the mortgage industry forever. Perhaps gen x will pay this equity price adjustment some day. It eventually needs to happen unless we want taxpayer backed mortgages forever!!

Well, if we're all pool owners, then we must all be home owners. When comparing store prices gives you sticker shock, take a stroll on Zillow. That might ease your pain a little...
You can have a similar experience on kelly blue book's website.

This world where a 10 year old BMW 335i is "worth" $17K is truly bizarre.

Reactions: nlindelldc and Dirk
I think you're right. Prices will go down, but not to what they were. I think inflation was mostly due to COVID, which jammed up the supply chain (not either President), but I'm sure corporations hid some extra profit in that excuse while they could get away with it. I don't expect chlorine and acid manufacturers were any different. SWGs are still high. Maybe I should buy three or four of them if they come down a little, before they double in price.

Ha, I remember the first time I said out loud "Geez, I used to pay a nickel for that candy bar!" (Yah, that's how old I am.) Over a dollar now, and missing two of the four almonds! You know what I'm talkin' about!! 🎶 "Some times you feel like a nut... Some times you don't..." 🎶 Shoot, I lost my train of thought, but now I want some candy...
i looked on amazon last night and the intex swg were considerably cheaper than last year, but so far, in major line brands, i havent seen any reduction yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.