input on a good cordless bluetooth speaker

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
I have an older JBL which is OK but I have seen a few folks on the beach with some thet seem to have a 360 sound thats not loud but carries. Anybody know which one that is or can recommend one?

I have apple phone and just ordered an home pod mini for inside but want one for outside also.

I have used the Bose blue tooth speaker. It can be recharged to be portable or sit on its dock to play.
If memory serves me correctly, mine was more expensive then the one in this link but it looks the same.
Regardless, it does a great job. I also have the older color soundlink speaker that was bigger. I use that in my garage.

Reactions: markayash
I've tried 3 or 4 different one's this year, and my favorite has been the Anker Soundcore Flare+. Two of them can be linked together to play in stereo (TWS - true wireless stereo). They are about $100 apiece.

I bought two Flare 2's I initially because I saw they could also be linked, but when they are they each play both R and L signals and not TWS. But if you don't care or only want a single speaker, the Flare 2 is a good option and a little cheaper. It also has cooler lighting options than the +.

Both models had better bass than anything else I tried, which was my main concern for outdoor use.

I've tried 3 or 4 different one's this year, and my favorite has been the Anker Soundcore Flare+. Two of them can be linked together to play in stereo (TWS - true wireless stereo). They are about $100 apiece.

I bought two Flare 2's I initially because I saw they could also be linked, but when they are they each play both R and L signals and not TWS. But if you don't care or only want a single speaker, the Flare 2 is a good option and a little cheaper. It also has cooler lighting options than the +.

Both models had better bass than anything else I tried, which was my main concern for outdoor use.
Thanks I have speakers that are all treble and no bass so will look.

Did the flare 2 sound as good just difference on how the work together? I just need one

Here’s a “low cost” option: https://www.amazon.com/OontZ-Angle-Ultra-Hi-Quality-Splashproof/dp/B073BVWRSP

I have a pair of great Niles outdoor speakers wired to a Denon amp, but they’re mounted under the eaves of our house. We have our patio/outdoor kitchen area there, but have another patio area across the pool. When I’m hanging out on the other side of the pool, I’ll use the portable speaker. I was very surprised at the sound quality for something so small and inexpensive - especially the bass.

Did the flare 2 sound as good just difference on how the work together? I just need one
The Flare + is a little larger and possibly digs a little deeper. But I would have been perfectly satisfied with the Flare 2 had it played in stereo when linked. Any difference is very subtle.

I have two jbl xtreme 2 speakers. They have xtreme 3 now at 100 watts and $100 more a piece. I link mine together on my phone app. Sound quality is really subjective to where I put them , what I put them on and in relation to each other. I don’t know how picky you are, but if you want loud, they are loud. They also put out an amazing amount of bass. Tweets are sharp. Mid’s are good. Best of all. They are waterproof.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So first, interesting comment about dumping Prime, there is a backstory there....

Anyway I would highly recommend the Sonos speaker over bluetooth.

Its Wifi based, and has its own processor. So you can program music to it and not be tied to your phone. So when your phone rings or gets a text message it wont come through the speaker like it will on Bluetooth.

If you decide to expand, its multi zone. So you can have multiple ones all playing the same music with individual volume control. You can tie in wired speakers too.

Cons: its expensive.

So first, interesting comment about dumping Prime, there is a backstory there....

Anyway I would highly recommend the Sonos speaker over bluetooth.

Its Wifi based, and has its own processor. So you can program music to it and not be tied to your phone. So when your phone rings or gets a text message it wont come through the speaker like it will on Bluetooth.

If you decide to expand, its multi zone. So you can have multiple ones all playing the same music with individual volume control. You can tie in wired speakers too.

Cons: its expensive.
Yes I don’t agree with a few things that business has done. but also have got a few items that were not what they claimed. Can’t prove it but when a Part is sold as “ genuine“ but is a different color then the same part from the dealer.

JBL which is OK

They make good stuff. We have the smaller of their "tube" ones and I'm really impressed with the quality of sound, especially the bass response. I'd imagine the larger one would be better.

on the beach

Definitely recommend a waterproof model for this. We've got an old ECOXGEAR from Costco that's got a locking charge door and still sounds pretty good, but definitely prefer the JBL for sound quality

360 sound thats not loud but carries

No experience with this. I'm intrigued by the folks mentioning a true stereo setup, although it seems that'd be double the price. The issue with a true stereo setup is you'd have to sit in between the speakers to get the full benefit of both channels, sortof defeats the idea of an ... "omnidirectional point source" as we'd call it in the industry. If you're reasonably handy, there's no small number of DIY marine radio / battery / solar panel rigs all hacked into a cheap Pelican case...

EDIT: WHOA! Hey! Looky there... omni waterproof outdoor camera stand mountable speaker and buy 2 and it'll do stereo.

DOUBLE EDIT... Now I'm freaking out... They've got a dry box radio so you don't have to cut holes in a brand new Pelican case... GET OUT OF MY HEAAAAADD!

Last edited:
Sound quality is really subjective to where I put them , what I put them on and in relation to each other. I don’t know how picky you are, but if you want loud, they are loud.

This makes me so happy in my soul... I got a live sound reinforcement degree, rolled up and down the road countless miles as a sound guy, and you've just summed up essentially everything I ever learned along the way in two sentences. This is serious wisdom you speak.

The industry (joke) definition of JBL: "Just Big and Loud."

I've had two ue booms.. good battery life and sounded perfect... until I got two Harman/kardon onyx studios.. excellent sound quality, but directional and battery might last 4 hours depending on volume level

This makes me so happy in my soul... I got a live sound reinforcement degree, rolled up and down the road countless miles as a sound guy, and you've just summed up essentially everything I ever learned along the way in two sentences. This is serious wisdom you speak.

The industry (joke) definition of JBL: "Just Big and Loud."
Like they use to say about Bose " No Highs no lows, must be Bose" :)

They make good stuff. We have the smaller of their "tube" ones and I'm really impressed with the quality of sound, especially the bass response. I'd imagine the larger one would be better.

Definitely recommend a waterproof model for this. We've got an old ECOXGEAR from Costco that's got a locking charge door and still sounds pretty good, but definitely prefer the JBL for sound quality

No experience with this. I'm intrigued by the folks mentioning a true stereo setup, although it seems that'd be double the price. The issue with a true stereo setup is you'd have to sit in between the speakers to get the full benefit of both channels, sortof defeats the idea of an ... "omnidirectional point source" as we'd call it in the industry. If you're reasonably handy, there's no small number of DIY marine radio / battery / solar panel rigs all hacked into a cheap Pelican case...

EDIT: WHOA! Hey! Looky there... omni waterproof outdoor camera stand mountable speaker and buy 2 and it'll do stereo.

DOUBLE EDIT... Now I'm freaking out... They've got a dry box radio so you don't have to cut holes in a brand new Pelican case... GET OUT OF MY HEAAAAADD!

I ahve seen a few sitting on the beach and the cool thing is the sound carries over the wind and water and sounds the same no matter where you stand.. I have seen a few of those, should have asked them the model

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.