DIYLinerPool

Sep 28, 2020
Chicago (West Suburbs), IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello - new inground pool owner here. I had an inline chlorinator put in and have been using 3" tablets, but have been reading up on the method here and really like it, if I switch to liquid chlorine once my CYA gets to the level I want is there any problems with leaving my inline chlorinator on the pad with just no chlorine in it? Or should I eventually just take it out? Figured it may be good to leave for longer vacations if I want to throw a couple tablets in?

My neighbor and I bought a vinyl liner kit and installed the pool ourselves, turned out pretty well! I understand the pool construction process well but haven't taken a ton of time to educate myself on the chemical process! I attached a couple pictures.

Attachments

• 64408900171--E300992A-7032-4E53-884C-3886A74B407E.jpg
    64408900171--E300992A-7032-4E53-884C-3886A74B407E.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 28
  • 64408898055--2A0BD82B-4994-430E-9C26-6FE75E06F6CF.jpg
    64408898055--2A0BD82B-4994-430E-9C26-6FE75E06F6CF.jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 28
The canister being empty is not a problem. The canister just got old, first the O-rings went and then the lid cracked. I probably had it in service 10 years before I found TFP. My auto cover is a retrofit so it's mounted on top of the deck. That leaves room for the floater to move around the perimeter of the pool. I also only put one tab at a time in the floater. I only use it if I'm going to be away for more than a couple of days. Otherwise, I just bump the FC up just before we leave. Between a little more FC and the dark cover being gone a couple of days is not a problem.

Last edited:
That would work. Honestly, that seems like overkill but if your LC cost is cheap then go for it. I used to check my FC level every day when I had a solar cover. The usage dropped enough with the auto cover that I only check it every other day now. For a long weekend, I just take my average consumption per day times the number of days and add LC accordingly.

I only check it daily now when the cover is open a lot and/or we have a lot of swimmers. Usually the two go hand in hand. I log all my results so I have a good handle on typical consumption.

That would work. Honestly, that seems like overkill but if your LC cost is cheap then go for it. I used to check my FC level every day when I had a solar cover. The usage dropped enough with the auto cover that I only check it every other day now. For a long weekend, I just take my average consumption per day times the number of days and add LC accordingly.

I only check it daily now when the cover is open a lot and/or we have a lot of swimmers. Usually the two go hand in hand. I log all my results so I have a good handle on typical consumption.
Thanks, good to know. Also do you use your auto cover as your winter cover? I see you are in Columbus (I graduated from Ohio State by the way!)

South of Columbus actually. Go Bucks!

Yes, I use my auto cover as a winter cover. When my second winter cover wore out we decided to get an auto cover instead. As we got older my wife was struggling with the solar cover so it was a good time to upgrade.

I majored in wine, women and song at Ohio State for a couple of years. I turned long pieces of steel into short pieces of steel for a year after that. Once I got my act together I ended up with a BS and a MBA. That was a long time ago so I'm an old fart now. LOL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
South of Columbus actually. Go Bucks!

Yes, I use my auto cover as a winter cover. When my second winter cover wore out we decided to get an auto cover instead. As we got older my wife was struggling with the solar cover so it was a good time to upgrade.

I majored in wine, women and song at Ohio State for a couple of years. I turned long pieces of steel into short pieces of steel for a year after that. Once I got my act together I ended up with a BS and a MBA. That was a long time ago so I'm an old fart now. LOL.
Ha nice! I graduated in 2007. I try to get back every year for a football game. Love Columbus! Thanks for the help.

Figured it may be good to leave for longer vacations if I want to throw a couple tablets in?
Pretty much this, as I'm sure others have said. Mine existed in a state of non-use for the last few years until the big freeze caused it to explode in a spectacular fashion. Good times.

• Haha
Reactions: DIYLinerPool
Another reason not to use inline chlorinators: tabs release a lot of chlorine gas when the pump is not running. This can corrode equipment, especially water heaters. You can install check valves but they do not always stop it. I use a floater when I need to use tabs.

Another reason not to use inline chlorinators: tabs release a lot of chlorine gas when the pump is not running. This can corrode equipment, especially water heaters. You can install check valves but they do not always stop it. I use a floater when I need to use tabs.
I also felt that the inline chlorinator used up the tablets too fast, even at the lowest setting. I went to a floater, as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.