Initial TF100 Results

duraleigh said:
I haven't read this whole thread (just the first and your last post) but if your pool maintenance methods are working for you, why would you consider changing?

It is not our goal to make you change your methods when you seem to be getting good results. Our goal is to teach people what we know works on thousands and thousands of pools, especially teaching those people who have water quality issues.

BBB has never been about saving money, even though it almost always does. It's about teaching you to understand the parameters that need to be controlled in your pool and what to do about them if you have water quality issues. Your method seems to work for your particular situation and you seem to like it.....why change?
Very rational reply. I am going to continue migrating to lower CYA and see how it goes. TFP has put me in control. It is similar to what I learned when I built 3 computers years ago. I learned enough to be in control of all things PC hardware.

Wildcat said:
Also, I understand the morbid fear everyone has of algae and the need to SLAM. One thing I was so surprised by when I found this forum was that so many people had algae problems.

I wanted to +1 on duraleigh's statement and agree 100%

That said, the regular members here rarely if ever experience algae problems but that is one of the big reasons people come to this forum. Maybe the biggest of all. Extremely common problem unfortunately. Glad you are here and enjoying the forum.

Not sure if this matters to anyone but me at this point but I continue to make progress on CYA. Slow but steady trend, some rain combined with a partial drain and fill with tap water is working. Need to re-read the sections on TA so I don't go too low but want PH on the low side to help combat my high CH. If I remember I can lower the PH and aeration can slide the TA up a notch if needed.

BTW, not sure how to paste a table so the columns stay in line. It looks perfect as I create the post but when it uploads it skews the columns.

3-Aug 29-Aug 7-Sep
CH 650 500 Not Measured
TA 110 100 90
PH 7.5 7.4 7.6
FC 11.5 16 13
CC 0 0 0
TC 11.5 16 13
CYA 160-180 120-130 100-110

You can keep TA on the lower side since your CH is high. As long as your pH is not bouncing around a lot, a TA of 70 is fine. Since you are continuing to drain and refill to manage your CYA level, it's worth testing your fill water for CH, too.

Acid will reduce both pH and TA. Aerating raises pH without affecting TA. Baking soda raises TA without much affect on pH at all.

Thanks, I did have the PH/TA relationship backwards. I know my fill water has high CH, have not measured it as I am saving the reagents. I believe my area tap water has a CH of around 200 or more. Almost has to be very high because my CH is not coming down in the same ratio as CYA is coming down. That is why I wish had had a good rainy season as that is better refill water for me

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.