Initial pool water set up

Kaa

Jun 21, 2018
NJ
I have a small (4500 gal) pool which is having its liner changed. Once done, I'll fill it with municipal water. How should I proceed to get this water to proper chemical balance? I assume I have to dump in some chlorine, some CYA, and some salt (I have an SWG). Can I do rough calculations for how much of what to add and then fine-tune based on testing? I probably won't run the SWG till the salt and the chlorine numbers are good -- is that the right way to go about it? I have the TFTest kit.

Would it be also fine to add some dichlor to get both chlorine and CYA and then add liquid bleach and CYA separately to get to proper values?

Test your water and enter the results into PoolMath. Set Poolmath with your pool volume at the top of the page and the type of pool in the bottom 1/3 of the page. Once you have done all that use the information to set your target levels and Poolmath will tell you what and how much you need.

You can use a few trichlor pucks initially to keep the water in supply of stabilized chlorine until you get the pool filled and all the hardware working correctly. Just don't plan to use the pucks long term, as they will add more CYA than you want after a while.

That's a pretty small pool. If it is really less than 5,000 gallons, it's interesting that you invested in a SWG system. That pool probably wouldn't consume much more than a quart of 6% strength bleach per day (depending on CYA levels and chlorine demand of course).

At any rate, use in the short time you can toss a few pucks in a floater to keep the water sanitized until you get the hardware rolling.

EDIT:

You can even use the pucks long enough to get your CYA where you want it. Just make sure you are testing the levels often with a good test kit and read through the great informational material on the site!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.