Initial Fill - Very high TA

belly_up

Jul 7, 2020
texas
Just set up a 32' x 16' x 52" Intex w/SWG

I filled the pool with city water.
Added the recommended salt (360lbs) and the recommended cya (3.6lbs)
Ran the boost mode on the swg.

First test results(local pool store, waiting on my test kit to arrive)

Salt: 3540
TA: 440 (is this even a reasonable number)
FC: 2
CYA: 40
pH: 8

My plan is to add 59oz to drop the TA then aerate to get my pH back up and repeat this process unit i have my TA around 70.

Is this the correct thing to do and can anyone offer more details on the acid and aeration process....how long will this take?

Thanks!

I'll let more seasoned veterans chime in - but I'm in the same boat with my 16' round Intex pool. Not quite as high in TA as your pool (I'm around 220 last check). But from what I've been able to gather - if all else looks good in terms of chlorine and pH - you're doing the right thing. Keep lowering pH to around 7.2 and aerate to bring it back up. Not a particularly fast process - I've been at high TA for several weeks and have maybe brought it down 20 or 30 ppm or so. But as long as water is clear and you're maintaining FC, I'm not stressing about. I'm sure someone will chime in to not trust the pool store results - so don't sweat it too much until you get your own test kit.

Reactions: mknauss
Welcome to the forum!
Great decision to order a test kit. Which one are you going to get? I am going to assume your pool volume is 15000 gallons, please add the correct data to your signature.
Main objective right now is to keep your FC in target range. Until you get your test kit, I suggest you add a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to the pool now. Is your SWCG an Intex Krystal Clear? I am going to assume so and that means it can create 0.62 lbs of chlorine gas per day. Using PoolMath, you need to run the pump and SWCG at least 16 hours per day (24 hours for now would be best) to create the chlorine that size pool needs each day.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Great decision to order a test kit. Which one are you going to get? I am going to assume your pool volume is 15000 gallons, please add the correct data to your signature.
Main objective right now is to keep your FC in target range. Until you get your test kit, I suggest you add a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to the pool now. Is your SWCG an Intex Krystal Clear? I am going to assume so and that means it can create 0.62 lbs of chlorine gas per day. Using PoolMath, you need to run the pump and SWCG at least 16 hours per day (24 hours for now would be best) to create the chlorine that size pool needs each day.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I got the tf-100 with the, ph-meter, speedstir, and the k-1766 salt test.

Yest i have the Intex Krystal Clear that came with the pool.

Thanks for the suggestions on run time.....the manual suggested only 8hrs for my pool size which seemed very minimal.

Sounds great. Check the pool volume. I used a rectangular pool. But no way will 8 hours be long enough.

Once you get the test kit, run all the tests and post them here. We can provide guidance based on that data.

Sounds great. Check the pool volume. I used a rectangular pool. But no way will 8 hours be long enough.

Once you get the test kit, run all the tests and post them here. We can provide guidance based on that data.

tested with the T-100

Results after adding 60oz of muriatic acid earlier this week:

salt: 3500ish
TA: 420
FC: 1.5
cya: 40
PH: 8

what’s the next step? Continue with more ma and also add some chlorine ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.