Inherited a Maryland Pool

AtariKid77

Jan 7, 2020
San Diego
Hello TFP Members,

First, I would like to thank you for all of the valuable information you have provided throughout the years, I have been able to keep my San Diego pool running beautifully throughout the years with all of the great advice.

I recently inherited a house in Maryland with an existing pool, which has need quite a bit of TLC. I replaced the Intermatic timer which was fried due to exposed wiring, not to mention, the filter air relief valve's output sprays directly on the electrical panel and timer, eventually I will need to plumb everything differently, however, that's for another season. Once electrical was corrected and the pump fired up the next morning I woke up and noticed the pool level was noticeably lower, I found that the heater hose was spraying water out of the exit portion of the heater coil (sorry neighbors). Unfortunately the heater is old and now the hose is non-existent, I managed to use some spa tubing and with a little welding of brass to the heater coil I was able to get an air tight seal by making it the correct fitting size for the hose.

The next thing I went to do was to vacuum the pool, the pool that I have back in SD has a cleaning port which goes into a multi-port valve where I can control the spa overflow, etc. However, this pool only has one single pvc connection to the challenger pump, at this point I decided to just go directly into the skimmer valve, however, what I noticed is that the suction is just not strong enough, that's when I looked at the second skimmer hole, and I have never seen anything quite like this, if you look at the image you can see a plastic lid and two suctions are coming in, one from the skimmer, and the other I am thinking may either be the main drain, or possibly it's connected to the paramount self cleaning system (never seen anything like this before either).

I was curious if anyone has seen this type of setup and if so, what is the best way to control more suction for manual vacuuming. I know that this "has a self cleaning pool system" but honestly, there is no way that it can keep up with Maryland's trees, weather, and crazy amount of bird Darn.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Attachments

• IMG_9441.JPG
    IMG_9441.JPG
    708.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9439.JPG
    IMG_9439.JPG
    823.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9437.JPG
    IMG_9437.JPG
    738.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9436.JPG
    IMG_9436.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 23
Welcome. I'm not familiar with your system but folks will be around that are. I just wanted to say as a 76 Atari Kid, i liked you before you even said hello. Pleasure to meet you !

I suspect the "skimmer" with the plastic lid at the bottom is a "leaf catcher" and part of your in-floor cleaning system..

Let's see if one of our IFCS owners can chime in..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I suspect the "skimmer" with the plastic lid at the bottom is a "leaf catcher" and part of your in-floor cleaning system..

Let's see if one of our IFCS owners can chime in..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

Looking more at the Paramount system, I believe you are correct and this is what I am dealing with. I did a little bit of digging and found the following tech guide pdf on the Paramount system.

It looks like on page 68 they go into vacuuming and it looks like I might be able to connect the hose directly to the suction outlet in the bottom of the canister.

I'm getting ready to go take a look at it now, I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again for taking a look, I really appreciate your help.

After further examination, it does appear as though I am dealing with the ADR DEBRIS CANISTER (definitely missing the canister o-ring), which once removed, provides direct access to the return line. It's clear that some of the pebble is coming through as you can see both on the skimmer non return line, and also on the main suction non return line, on to chemistry next. But all in all, I think I will at least be able to give the pool a good vacuum before I start to move on to chemistry, I am already assuming that I will need to do some mild to major water replacement. Preliminary testing of CYA was through the roof!

Thank you once again for helping point me in the right direction, as always TFP is an awesome resource and continues to rule for pool owners increase of knowledge and being able to keep a great looking, and of course, fun to use pool :D

Happy splashing this season everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_2766.JPG
    IMG_2766.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2765.JPG
    IMG_2765.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2763.JPG
    IMG_2763.JPG
    792.3 KB · Views: 11
After further examination, it does appear as though I am dealing with the ADR DEBRIS CANISTER (definitely missing the canister o-ring), which once removed, provides direct access to the return line. It's clear that some of the pebble is coming through as you can see both on the skimmer non return line, and also on the main suction non return line, on to chemistry next. But all in all, I think I will at least be able to give the pool a good vacuum before I start to move on to chemistry, I am already assuming that I will need to do some mild to major water replacement. Preliminary testing of CYA was through the roof!

Thank you once again for helping point me in the right direction, as always TFP is an awesome resource and continues to rule for pool owners increase of knowledge and being able to keep a great looking, and of course, fun to use pool :D

Happy splashing this season everyone!
Just saw this thread. As you have already found out, you have a Paramount in-Deck Debris Canister. Keep you fingers crossed!

I too have a Maryland Pool with this setup. Unfortunately, the canister is cracked at the bottom, which can be patched, and the equalizer line is cracked not far from the entry into the canister. It's in a position that's impossible to epoxy.

The result is, I have a leak from the equalizer crack, and air entering the canister from the bottom crack.

I've been looking for years for someone to replace it, but cannot get anyone o even return my calls or emails.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.