Inheirited SWG Pool Cleanup Photojournal

Quick update: had to remove iron a second time and I'm already seeing it come back AGAIN. And I did have to replace the salt cell. Went with the Comp-U-Pool replacement. Seems to be working well. On the good news front:

7562249540_df84aa4f6f_z.jpg

Thanks!

Honestly I never really got the iron problem truly solved. All summer I was on a roller coaster of chlorine levels and every time it got high, things started changing color and I would have to re-do the process with the ascorbic acid & whatnot. I've decided next spring I will have a timer installed so that I can better regulate the chlorine generation without having to manually turn things on and off all the time.

Now that the pool is closed I ran into another problem. I have a mesh safety cover on the pool, which is great. But I wanted to block out sunlight to prevent algae growth, so I put a regular tarp over the cover, along with an air pillow underneath to crown it a bit. My hope was that water would run off rather than collecting on the cover, weighing it down. It didn't work. I think to achieve this I will need to have multiple air pillows, placed above the safety cover and underneath the tarp. For now I have removed the tarp because I had a lot of water pooling on top and it was really stressing the safety cover.

Something new to learn each month, it seems.

If the water temp is in the 50's F when you close, and in the 50's when you open, you'll find that algae is a non-issue.
If you feel you really need a solid cover as well as the mesh cover; put the solid cover (it needs to be water impermeable and have no holes in it) on first, then the mesh cover on top.
The mesh cover will keep the leaves and whatnot off, and the solid cover will prevent rain and snow melt from mixing with the pool water.

RMoss said:
Thanks!

Honestly I never really got the iron problem truly solved.

.....I've decided next spring I will have a timer installed so that I can better regulate the chlorine generation without having to manually turn things on and off all the time.

.....Something new to learn each month, it seems.

Have you tested your pool water & fill water for iron?

OOOOOHHHH, that is a pain. Manually flipping it off & on. Yes, a timer would be very, very good!!
Is your pump not on a timer? If it is, you can tie the SWG into that same timer. That's how they are traditionally installed. It is shown how to do it in the manuals of most units.

How are you doing for scale build-up on the SWG cell?

Yeah, there's always something to learn with everything. If we knew everything, I feel it'd be pretty boring and life wouldn't be as fun. ;)

No, neither my pump or SWG are on a timer, but yep I plan to put both on it when I have it installed. Haven't had it tested for iron but I did remove the stains with ascorbic acid so that pretty much means it's iron, right? I replaced my cell later summer after trying to clean the old one with an acid bath to no success.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.