Inground vinyl liner installation in the rain

Tinyfootprints

May 2, 2023
Ontario
Hi, I have a replacement vinyl liner scheduled to be installed this week but the forecast calls for rain, heavy at times. The liner installer (one of the largest pool companies in the country) insists they routinely install liners rain or shine. My understanding is that this can lead to a whole bunch of problems including wrinkles and misalignment, not to mention make it difficult for the installers to maneuver the liner and get it properly seated in the track. How big of a deal is it that they are installing this in wet weather?

Hey (other kind of) TFP and Welcome !!!
How big of a deal is it that they are installing this in wet weather?
For you or me, it's probably a much bigger deal than them.

Ideally we rec 70 degrees or more so the liner can stretch, but the true pros (fingers crossed for you) can get it right either way. My own liner was installed last year in 60 degree rain with 50 degree fill water and it fits like a glove.

It's been about a week since installation and I've got a couple of wrinkles on the floor of the liner. The response I got from the pool installer is:

Typically, when liners are installed in colder weather, wrinkles can occur. Once the water is warmed up, these wrinkles tend to dissipate on their own.

Sounds like BS to me - I've never heard of wrinkles going away on their own. Does this sound right?

Wrinkles are a sign of a liner that was measured a little too big, so I doubt the cold had anything to do with it. The cold would have kept the liner from stretching properly, if anything. Yours stretched and then some.

What did the Company say they could, or you shoud do if they didn't work themselves out ?

Hang tight for thoughts about if it will work itself out.

See the circled areas. They are on the flat and level part of the pool floor in the shallow end.

View attachment 490502View attachment 490503
I hate cliffhangers - what ever came of your wrinkles? Did they get better through the summer?

Also, any wisdom you can share from your liner experience? I am just now starting to get estimates. Did you shop different liner brands, thicknesses, etc. or just rolled with what the installer recommended?

Reactions: Mdragger88