Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
So my neighbor comes over yesterday and tells me one of my skimmers leaks, and has leaked since the original owner.
He tells me its only one skimmer per the original owner.

I have two skimmers, but in the equipment room, only one valve to shut off the skimmers.
(I also have a main drain and a separate valve for it )

I copied these pics from the net....
2Q==
images

This seems to be how my skimmers are plumbed, (but I assume they have to be tied together) and not going thru the main drain.
The neighbor tells me the leak is under the pool.

I only lose water till just below my tile line and then it stops.
The pool set for over a year after we bought the house and held water at the same level, so I am thinking the skimmer basket area is leaking.

I have the supposed leaking skimmer plugged now along with the skimmer valve shut off, and will see this week how much the water drops, as it takes 5/6 days for the water to drop 2 inches, sometimes longer.
We had the pool leak tested in July, and the company found no leaks.
Neighbor told me 2 of the past owners also had the pool tested and no leaks were ever found, but when the pool ris full there is water in his yard, so there has to be a leak somewhere.

a few questions...
1) Can I plug the equalizer line, and both lines in the skimmer basket and circulate the pool via the main drain only
2) would I have to plug both skimmers seeing as they have to be tied together
3) 40x20 pool, can it run on only one skimmer and main drain

We are planning on resurfacing the pool this fall and now the skimmer problem so resurfacing may take a back seat depending on cost to repair.

Thanks

Last edited:
What material are the coping, decking and surface from the skimmer to the pump if you have to open it all up to examine the plumbing?

decking is concrete, and goes to the edge of the pool.
We have entertained the thought of cutting back the decking and installing some type of coping
there is a large slab around the skimmer, so that area could be removed and replaced

trying to post a pic but keep getting this...(will try pic latter)

Ooops, your post contains some curse words. Please remove them in order to post.

We strive to have the most family friendly forum on the internet and this includes keeping all language G-rated.

Also, please don't try to use symbols in place of letters to post curse words, such actions will not be tolerated.

Please watch what you type in the future and help us keep a clean running forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.