Inground pools and Septic systems

ChrystaH

Jul 20, 2021
British Columbia, Canada
We are planning our our inground pool for Spring 2022 install. Our PB has said the location we chose is fine in regards to our Septic field. After looking online, it seems the distance from a septic system(field or tank) to the edge of the pool should be 25 feet. Ours will not be that but the PB says it is still ok. Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind the 25 feet away? Is it a terrible idea to put it closer? We are getting our septic system mapped out exactly but based on the house plan drawings it looks to be about 10-15’ from the edge of the pool if we put it in our desired location.

Here in the states, septic requirements vary by county, and the Environmental office confirms those septic engineering drawings and certifies installations. The distance could also vary by the type of septic (aerobic versus leech field), soil, and contour of the area. As for the skeptic tank itself where all the "trash" is initially deposited, it is my experience the trash tank will always be closer to the house where the plumbing clean-out pipe exits, so I could see where it could also be potentially closer to a pool as well. It is the aerobic spraying or leech field itself that mush meet the distance requirements based on the soil conditions. In the end, I would contact your local county office to confirm.

Here in the states, septic requirements vary by county, and the Environmental office confirms those septic engineering drawings and certifies installations. The distance could also vary by the type of septic (aerobic versus leech field), soil, and contour of the area. As for the skeptic tank itself where all the "trash" is initially deposited, it is my experience the trash tank will always be closer to the house where the plumbing clean-out pipe exits, so I could see where it could also be potentially closer to a pool as well. It is the aerobic spraying or leech field itself that mush meet the distance requirements based on the soil conditions. In the end, I would contact your local county office to confirm.
we have a leech field and that’s the concern. The tank itself is 25 feet away.
I am located in a Canada and the district I live in doesn’t require building permits for the pool, only for the fence around the pool. So this is why the PB is ok with putting it closer and says it’s fine and he’s done it plenty of times in his 25+ years of pool
Building. I just assume there is obviously a reason why they say 25 feet away from all septic systems.

I just assume there is obviously a reason why they say 25 feet away from all septic systems.
Yeah, we have distance requirements for the spraying and field itself to control over-saturation and such, but I'm not sure about the trash tank. Hopefully your district representatives can clarify that for you.

I can't think of a reason why this would matter. I'm no where even close with mine but I have almost 2 acres anyway. How close is he going to put it?

If our drawings from the septic install are accurate then the distance from the edge of the leech field to the edge of the pool would probably be around 10 feet.

As long as he doesn't dig into the leach field and there is enough room to do any future septic maintenance, I would go with your builder's experience. Do you have an alternate location? Since I live on a hill and my yard is sloped towards the back of my property line, I would probably not have any issues anyway. But perhaps taking that space away from the leach field reduces its capacity some. Really you need to talk to a septic expert. Try your pump-out company and see what they say.

Every septic system will leach differently depending on soil conditions. The 25' set back is a standard that is felt to Be safe for all systems and has safety margins built in. Most leach fields do mostly leach straight down however there are certain factors that will force them to go sideways. Some concerns about having it too close.

- If your effluent leaches into the pool area, a leaky suction line could suck in the effluent or get into any drainage you have around your pool or even get directly into the pool water in some cases.
- if your pool leaks into the septic area it could flood the leach field and damage it or at the very least cause a back up.

The correct solution is to install a impermeable barrier between the leach field and the pool. This us usually a heavy 30 mil poly or some will use clay.

Reactions: Texas Splash
As long as he doesn't dig into the leach field and there is enough room to do any future septic maintenance, I would go with your builder's experience. Do you have an alternate location? Since I live on a hill and my yard is sloped towards the back of my property line, I would probably not have any issues anyway. But perhaps taking that space away from the leach field reduces its capacity some. Really you need to talk to a septic expert. Try your pump-out company and see what they say.
We are going to talk to the septic guys when they scope out the system for us. I just wanted to get peoples thoughts from here as well so we go into it with 3 different points of view (septic guys, PB, personal experiences on here).
We can push the pool back into the yard more but we would prefer to leave the space as an open play area for soccer, playing catch etc.
We are on a corner lot and the septic field is located along the side of the house. For future repairs there is access from the side and also from the front of the property, so that wouldn’t be a concern I don’t think

If our drawings from the septic install are accurate then the distance from the edge of the leech field to the edge of the pool would probably be around 10 feet.
I would not feel comfortable putting it 10' away without a barrier . Are you putting in a liner pool? If so the likely hood of cross contamination is even greater that a gunite pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are going to talk to the septic guys when they scope out the system for us
That is your best course of action. Be sure to ask them about where a additional field could go if the current one fails as well. With gravity systems it is best to be able to put the next leach field very close to the old one. Removing a existing field and replacing it in the same spot can be very costly as can having to pump it to a new location.

Reactions: ChrystaH
I just had to replace my leach field and put in an aerobic system.. my leach field was perfectly fine and working but it took up my complete backyard and I am installing an inground pool... Had to go :)

Even though you may not need a permit, the authority should be able to tell you what the set back is, lets say for a building or other structure. All the county wanted where I'm located is to be no less than 8 feet from any component in the septic system. May be much different in a location where it freezes.

Our field is 20' away, no issues in 30+ years. That being said, the field is BELOW (downhill) from the pool. If it was uphill from the pool I agree that you would need a barrier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.