Inground pool main drain, fill in ?

Jul 30, 2018
Toronto
Hi All, I am getting my liner replaced and all 3 contractors who I got quotes from asked me if I want my main drain filled in with concrete. My pool is 25 years old and I never had a problem. Is it a northern climate thing because of possible freezing ?

Hi welcome to TFP :)

I suspect they are offering because it is a safety issue. My pool build has two drains plumbed together so a person or child can't get stuck on a drain-- the suction would shift to the other drain. I don't know the ins and outs of possible safety covers but you might want to discuss with your builder.

Maybe someone with a bit mor current knowledge can chime in :)

In the USA the Virginia Graham - Baker Act required all public pools and all new private pools to have a no entrapment main drain system installed.

It is a very good idea to eliminate the main drain unless you wish to modify it. The entrapment issue is a real danger to swimmers.

And the main drain is just not needed.

Take care.

In the USA the Virginia Graham - Baker Act required all public pools and all new private pools to have a no entrapment main drain system installed.

It is a very good idea to eliminate the main drain unless you wish to modify it. The entrapment issue is a real danger to swimmers.

And the main drain is just not needed.

Take care.

I’d like to add, there are times drain sumps should be kept, particularly for ground water remediation , if a water table is present or pool is at a low grade. The circulatory ports in the sumps can be capped to take them out of service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.