Inground pool liner stretching

Mhm

May 19, 2022
Tqbfjo12bh
I just had a new liner installed in a 16 x 32’ inground pool with around a 9’ deep end. I was told a long time ago that it is a Foxx pool but I have no way to verify that if it even matters. It was around 70 degrees during the install with some sun and i was told the water from the truck was 51 degrees.
While filling the pool the liner came out in the deep end. They used a heat gun and after quite awhile of struggling and stretching they got the liner back in the track. However, it is now very obvious and doesn’t look good where they stretched the liner to get in back in the track. The nominal 10” border is stretched to 12.5” in that section. That’s a 25% stretch. Besides it looking terrible should I be concerned about premature failure in that area and a higher likelihood that the liner will pull out again there?
I’ve also noticed that the pool liner border isn’t even all around the pool. Ignoring where they stretched it to get it back into the track it varies from 10” width to 11.5”. It’s very noticeable now with the pool partially filled. Not sure how noticeable it will be after it’s fully filled. At first I assumed the liner was sloppily made but now I’m thinking it just stretched unevenly around the pool. That’s a 15% stretch of the liner if was all an even 10” to start with. What do you think is the cause and should I be concerned? Was the liner not measured correctly or not made to the right measurements?
Thanks,

Attachments

• B8627855-FE04-4FBC-AC60-D4FBECE20B81.jpeg
    B8627855-FE04-4FBC-AC60-D4FBECE20B81.jpeg
    832.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 5680DD33-90F4-4390-BF85-EC36C2D70D93.jpeg
    5680DD33-90F4-4390-BF85-EC36C2D70D93.jpeg
    595.3 KB · Views: 54
I had a similar spot in my liner - and it was not noticeable once the pool was filled with water. In fact, I did not notice until the water level dropped below the border due to an unrelated leak. My real concern with the stretch is that it usually means there is a spot opposite that spot where there is too much material - do you see a spot across the pool where there are signs of wrinkles or extra material?

OK, well that is generally good news. I can't speak to the long term effects of the stretch, as my liner was replaced for other reasons before it got older. I think you need @jimmythegreek to weigh in. Very nice pattern, by the way.

I had that with my install, only it happened on the shallow side. Same weather conditions on install day. I sent photos to Latham and they said they would honor any warranty issues. It was just stretched a lot. Didn't pop out on filling it. It's amazing how much a new liner can stretch.

It's been almost 7 years and not had any part pulling out of track. I remember the pool co saying it was a tight fit. Better that than being loose.

Every year on the first swimming day I go around the pool and push on the liner lock sections to be sure they are all properly seated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lanzz
Aside from the look, contact the liner manufacturer to get their take on it and if it would possibly effect the life or warranty. It may also been from a poor measurement provided to the liner mfg or the maybe the liner was manufactured wrong. If it was poorly measured by the installer, they are likely trying to make it work so they are not on the hook for a new one.

It's poor measurement. If it's off season a winter measure should be used. Gotta be hot and sunny for tight fits. Usually the liner will be fine and hold up long-term it's just cosmetic. I personally would never heat gun a liner. They should have let it sit on vacuum or used 2 vacuums if needed for as long as needed to make a glove fit them start the fill

The owner of the installation company is coming out next week to look at it. His basic message on the phone is that it’s too late to do anything about it. That it should be fine and this doesn’t impact the warranty. He didn‘t know what the manufacturer would say about a 25% stretch of their vinyl. I’m sure they would never tell the manufacturer about this issue if there is a warranty claim.
i“m still concerned about a premature failure or pullout from the track in this area and the prorated warranty losing value every month will leave me very short on replacing the liner early.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.