Inground Pool Liner Fade & Wrinkles

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I had my pool final installation July 2018. The pool is a liner, salt water pool 14 feet by 28 feet. We love the pool and have had a lot of use out of it. I noticed two issues already after 2 years.

1. My liner is already fading in multiple areas. Some are pretty poorly fading into white already. The liner is/was originally blue tile looking.
2. I noticed some folds and creases in the liner.

I sent an e-mail over to my pool installer with pictures. They are now reaching out to the manufacturer to get their thoughts and feedback. Initially, their thoughts were, "this could very well be chemical damage to the liner along with some ground water pushing the liner up to create the wrinkles."

I replied with appreciation for their feedback and said we would reconnect based on what the manufacturer says. However, I also added the following in reply to their initial thoughts.

1. What would cause chemical damage? I test the pool weekly and I keep the salt level at right around 3200. I always make sure the salt gets dissolved when dumping into the water and don't let any sit on the liner. The pool rarely needs any additional chemicals.

2. Also, when you say ground water pushing the liner up, you mean potentially rising ground water under the pool? We thought about that with installation and I paid an extra I think $4,500 to have a layer of rocks dumped under the pool which leads to a dry well that was dugout with a sump-pump to prevent something like that from happening. I check the well and sump-pump area periodically and it has always been bone dry. Hopeful that isn't an issue.

To me it looks like the high traffic areas are the ones fading. My feeling is also when people stand on the pushed out areas of the walls in the deep end sometimes the liner moves a little just due to human weight and I feel like that may be causing some of the wrinkles, but that's pure guessing on both.

I wanted to post here to get some expert thoughts. Perhaps someone has been through a similiar issue? Also, curious if I'm missing anything. Thank you in advance.

image0.jpeg
image14.jpegimage15.jpegIMG_9124.jpegIMG_9125.jpegIMG_9130.jpegIMG_9131.jpegimage11.jpeg

Last edited:
Liner changes are expected to happen, but it varies by pool, and certainly not within just a couple years. Besides overall age, the quality of the liner and chemical maintenance are probably two of the biggest culprits to changes in a liner. You don't have a signature loaded so we don't know what test kit you use to test the water. Can you update your signature please and include the test kit? Maybe post a full set of water test results as well? Maybe we'll see something to help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.