Inground pool leak

tpm

Sep 6, 2008
NY
Hello
I lose about 1/2" every 2 days or so. I do have a crack in one of the return threads. Doesn't lose water when winterized and when returns are plugged. I do not see any bubbles but to rule it out can I plug the one return as it's 1 of two that go to the 6' wide steps. There is another return 3' from it plus I have 2 other returns on other walls. Also have 3 returns in a swim out area but that's piped separate.
FYI. It's a salt water pool and it's losing salt also which means it's not from evaporating

Thanks

I'm not sure where you live, but if your water warms up well into the 80s during the day, and nighttime temperatures drop into the the low 70's, then a half inch over 48 hrs is normal, If you live in an area with extremely dry air, no humidity, and you don't have a 40000 gallon pool, then 1/2" over 48 hrs is still not a problem at all, it depends on your climate, the size of your pool, there is no way for any of us to be able to help you without some more information.

More like 1/2" in 24 hours. It's 33,000 gallon L shape. I do have one return with a cracked return outer ring ( Hayward ) Thinking it might be coming from there. I posted a link to the return above. Return leak - Album on Imgur
I'm not sure if I can change out that ring with 4 screws under water or if I need to drain the water level down. Also I'm losing way too much salt so that's another reason I'm confident it's a leak
Thanks for the reply
Ps I live on Long Island and it's salt water, heated

To make sure it is a leak fill a bucket with water and place it on the steps in the pool. Mark the water level in the bucket and pool. If the level drops the same, evaporation, if it drops more in the pool, leak.

To make sure it is a leak fill a bucket with water and place it on the steps in the pool. Mark the water level in the bucket and pool. If the level drops the same, evaporation, if it drops more in the pool, leak.

I did that. Pool losing way more. I ordered a "Frankenplug" Fits into the return outlet to seal any cracks. Still has a discharge through the middle of it. Should have it tomorrow and hopefully it does the trick

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.