Inground liner replacement

Jan 5, 2014
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Hello everyone!

So I have owned a vinyl lined 16x38 inground pool now for 15 years. I paid the $3800 to have the liner replaced in 2006. I am a strong "do it yourselfer" and have replaced out and replumbed just about everything in my equipment pad, but I have never done a liner.

I am interested in hearing from those that have completed an in-ground liner replacement, good or bad stories, and what would you have done differently. My gut says I can do this, but I still feel a little apprehensive.

Also a few other questions about inground liners:

1. We have cut in steps....how do you install around cut in steps?

2 is it best to measure with pool empty (I know duh, but im paranoid of leaving it empty too long because high water table)

3 how do you accurately measure in a full pool?

4 is foam necessary? Because high water table, we had issues with the old foam floating and bunching up

5 best online resources for measuring?

I'm in a similar boat wanting to know answers to the same concerns. My liner is still in mostly fine shape, but won't be for many more years. And I hope to replace mine myself when the time comes. So hopefully I can gain some knowledge from this thread as well.

I do most of my own home maintenance but this is something I personally leave to the experts.

I will say, you won't have to measure if you can locate the paperwork with the liner's serial number.
The manufacturer of the liner will be able to cross reference and cut & weld a new one with that alone.

If you don't have it, most liner's have the serial printed on the back facing side, typically
in the shallow end. That's something you would want do when it's time to remove it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.