Information about Pentair intelli/easy touch & co

Unfortunately I did not find this website until after I had my pool built and configured to run with an Intellichem system. I love that I don't need to monitor the PH, but the ORP sensor/automation caused several problems for me early on. I have since disabled it and only use the Intellichem for PH. If I ever build another pool, I will definitely hold off on the chemical automation unless they find a better way to do it.

Unfortunately I did not find this website until after I had my pool built and configured to run with an Intellichem system. I love that I don't need to monitor the PH, but the ORP sensor/automation caused several problems for me early on. I have since disabled it and only use the Intellichem for PH. If I ever build another pool, I will definitely hold off on the chemical automation unless they find a better way to do it.

Do you have SWG or Liquid Chlorine dispenser?
I heard that SWG is not the best option with in-water automatic cover (some corosion of the axel an motor), so i will have to go with Liquid Chlorine.

With Pentair's variable speed pumps the speed is determined by RPM.

On their VF models, speed is set by GPM.

The VF pumps cost more initially and without getting deep into details, basically have a bunch of features that are not necessary and end up using more electricity to run. Their VS pumps are an excellent choice especially if electrical rates are high.

Hi,

In the meantime i have been reading quite a lot, and somewhere they say a VF pump is beter because when your filter gets dirty (sandfilter) the pump will ajust tu keep the right flow. With the VF pump you can also monitor the increased flow and automate the backwash when the increase is above a certain level.
Sounds right not?
It also seems that i will not go with SWG (IC60) because of a in-water electric pool cover. manufacturer said liquid chlorine dispesing is beter, so it might take IChem with the 2 pumps.

Liquid chlorine is Sodium Hypochlorite... So every gallon you add to your pool is getting you that much closer to becoming a salt water pool. Acid is even worse with its chloride content.

Actual flow from a pump in gpm is not all that important. With the VF pump, the speed will increase as the filter gets dirty to maintain a GPM flow rate that was never important to begin with. This will draw more electricity which negates some of the savings from running a pump at a lower speed to begin with. You would be much better off with a standard VS pump and use the savings towards a high flow/efficiency filter like the Quad 100.

I'm not sure about automating a backwash cycle but that sounds like a bad idea if something went wrong.

Thanks for your reply, i'm getting smarter every minute!
I still don't understant fully the benefits of VF or VS pumps.
If i'm correct i have to filter according following parameter:

- Water temp under 12°c : filter time = water temp/3
- Water temp between 12°c and 28°c : filter time = water temp/2
- Water temp above 28°c : filter time = full time

and in 4h time (a cycle) all the water should go trough the filter.

So when will the pump reduce its speed? when filtering the cycles abouve, it should be running full speed right?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.