Infinity pool - what is the best way to run the edge pump?

gsnake

Jun 16, 2019
Vancouver, BC
I have an infinity pool and two pumps - main and the edge. When I moved into this house the existing tiles on the negative edge wall were missing all the grout. Not sure if this was a bad grouting or pool water balance or both.. Now I have new glass tiles, waterproofing and epoxy grout. I read somewhere that in order to prevent the negative edge wall from cycles of heating and cooling it is best to run the edge pump 24x7. So the tiles will always be 'under' water and no heat/cold cycles. Is this the best option? I did get two variable speed pumps and can run the edge pump at 1350 rpm and this is enough to have constant water flow that would cover the wall. Or this does not matter? And I should be running the edge pump only when people are using the pool plus few hours a day to circulate the water? thanks

Attachments

• pool22.jpg
    pool22.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I am no expert but since no one responded I'll chime in for you and other viewers. I have a neg edge pool raised with black granite tiles. I make sure to run the edge flow pump at least while the sun is out to keep the tiles cool. I run the pump at the lowest speed possible to maintain edge flow which for my pool is around 1700 RPM (I have a negative edge on two sides vs your one side so perhaps the RPM needs to be higher). My neg edge pump just puts the trough water back into the pool so I dont see a need to run it all the time (at night) to get the pool water cleaner. I do think that running my neg edge pump for longer does help with water movement and algae buildup because I dont have alot of movement of water from the regular pump in the trough area.

I dont think running the edge pump while using the pool will do much because that pump isnt cleaning the water (unles it goes to a filter) but when people are using the pool the water level in the pool will be lower. This is because splashing and the extra h20 movement will cause the the water to end up in the trough.

Hope this helps (from a non-expert opinion).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.