Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Should be a simple question here regarding the relationship of chemicals...

When adding Cyanuric Acid (CYA) to get it your CYA to its target level, (60-90 for a SWG pool) , will adding the CYA have affect direct affect on CH, TA, or pH? I realize that bringing CYA to the proper level makes it easier to maintain your Free Chlorine level and not lose as much as rapidly, but I wasn't sure if CYA also has a direct relationship with something else as well. I don't think it does. But I wanted to check, thanks!.

Also, when adding CYA, the directions for the dry stabilizer don't say anything specific about how to add it, it just says to add to the pool... but it seems like some people recommend to put it in a sock first or something? Is that REQUIRED? Is there something wrong about just adding it into the pool? Since the directions didn't say anything specific I guess I'm wondering why people have mentioned socks or whatever? Can anyone clarify this a bit?

No real impact on any other chemicals Whenever you are curious, go the PoolMath APP's Effects of Adding Chemicals and you'll see.

As for adding ... place the required amount in a sock and soak in the pool for about 30 minutes. Place in the skimmer unless you're worried about water flow, or hang near a return jet and squeeze the sock like crazy until all the mush comes out. Easy stuff!

Reactions: jesse-99
4 more questions.

1. I have a DE style filter (a massive one, 32,000 gallon pool). I'm reading that some people are saying you shouldn't clean the filter for "days to a week" after adding CYA. Is that actually accurate even if adding CYA via a sock? I seem to get mixed answers to this when searching. Hardly seems to make sense that you can't clean a DE filter after adding CYA if you first let it dissolve in sock...

2. You say to place the CYA in a sock for 30 minutes and squeeze like crazy, do I squeeze it every 5 minutes? Or squeeze it all at one time after 30 minutes? Not sure I understand "when" to squeeze.

3. I have 3 skimmers, is it okay to use a sock in each filter, all at the same time? (I'm going to add 8 pounds of CYA initially before re-resting (Pool Math tells me I need around 18 pounds in total)

4. After adding the 8 pounds of CYA, can I re-test my CYA level in 24 hours? I get mixed answers on this when searching too. Some people say 24 hours, some people are saying days or a week? (confused)

I'm still looking for input on Questions #1 and #4 above, but I think I can answer #2 and #3 by myself now....

Answer for #22. You say to place the CYA in a sock for 30 minutes and squeeze like crazy, do I squeeze it every 5 minutes? Or squeeze it all at one time after 30 minutes? Not sure I understand "when" to squeeze. ----- It doesn't really matter... Squeeze intermittently or all at once. As long as it comes out. (this was way easier than I thought when using the nylon-sock method)

Answer for #3. I have 3 skimmers, is it okay to use a sock in each filter, all at the same time? (I'm going to add 8 pounds of CYA initially before re-resting (Pool Math tells me I need around 18 pounds in total) ----- I can't see why not. I actually used 2 of my 3 skimmers, and one of my returns. Both methods, the skimmers and the return worked great. This was really easy. I've added the 8 pounds so far. (18 or so needed in total). I'll retest once I get some feedback on the remaining two questions.

Q1. I have a DE style filter (a massive one, 32,000 gallon pool). I'm reading that some people are saying you shouldn't clean the filter for "days to a week" after adding CYA. Is that actually accurate even if adding CYA via a sock? I seem to get mixed answers to this when searching. Hardly seems to make sense that you can't clean a DE filter after adding CYA if you first let it dissolve in sock...

Q4. After adding the 8 pounds of CYA, can I re-test my CYA level in 24 hours? I get mixed answers on this when searching too. Some people say 24 hours, some people are saying days or a week? (confused)

Q! - Backwashing has no relation to the CYA if you dissolved the CYA in a sock. Once it's in the water, it's in. Backwash as with any filter once the pressure increases by about 25%.
Q2 - Once in a sock and soaking for a while, the stabilizer should be soft and mushy. You can squeeze continuously or every few minutes to give your hands a break, but the intent is to let the water soften the granules so you can squeeze it.
Q3 - Either way. Certainly separate large amounts (sock) in different areas if that works better for you.
Q4 - Yes. Using the sock method, once it's dissolved, you'll reach your goal rather quickly.

Reactions: jesse-99
Great input. I will re-test CYA in about 24 hours as I have 8 pounds added now (wow that was so much easier than I expected).

I updated my signature finally with all current/valid information that I'm aware about with my pool. (I'm learning from here and from the Pool Maintenance guy who has been helpful and initially told me about Pool School)

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.