increase FC before Fall?

CavVet

Silver Supporter
Aug 5, 2017
Brownwood texas
Leaves Leaves Leaves
we try our best to skim the leaves out....but there are always a few that linger.
we have a 60yr old red oak tree right next to the pool.
FC 5.5
CC .5
TA 80
pH 7.8
CH 360
CYA 60

i typically keep my FC around 5-6 by lowering my pump run times to 4-5 hours and SWG @ 90%. I will likely use 8.25% bleach come winter.
is it wise to raise the FC level going into fall and prior to the leaves falling? if yes, do you run your pump longer or use daily/every other day bleach?
this, of course, assuming my water temps are warm enough for the SWG to operate.

We have lots of trees around the pool throwing lots of stuff in the pool. Yes to more FC. I run FC up around 8-9 ppm with CYA at 80. I run my pump longer for more skimming but I have a variable speed pump that only uses 150 watts when running at 1100 rpm. I add bleach when we have folks over to swim I usually add a jug of 8.25% which raises FC 4 ppm in my pool.

My magic number seems to be 65 F, a few things happen all at once when my pool gets to 65 and lower.
SWG pretty much stops working.
Daily FC usage drops off to almost nill.
Most of the leaves are done.
With the waning sunlight heading into fall I find myself "by accident" raising my FC, I aim for 5 with cya of 70, tested FC 8 the other night, dialed down my % on my SWG. A little more won't hurt anything as the last thing I do before circulation ends for me is to add bleach.
At 60 F and lower most people at your latitude, report nil FC losses.

excellent. thank you sir!

- - - Updated - - -

We have lots of trees around the pool throwing lots of stuff in the pool. Yes to more FC. I run FC up around 8-9 ppm with CYA at 80. I run my pump longer for more skimming but I have a variable speed pump that only uses 150 watts when running at 1100 rpm. I add bleach when we have folks over to swim I usually add a jug of 8.25% which raises FC 4 ppm in my pool.

Thank you!! Good to see some folks living south of the Red River on this forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.