Increase CYA level

Jun 10, 2016
Ontario, Canada
When we first moved into the house with our pool I bought some super pucks for chlorine. I then had big problems maintaining the pool, found this site, and the proper way to keep the chemicals right. It turned out to have way too high of CYA but I managed to keep everything in check with liquid chlorine. After winter and the pool being partially drained the CYA levels were testing a bit low. Tested below 30 on my tester which is the lowest it goes. I took a sample to the pool shop and they tested it at 20. So I was going to use the super pucks to chlorinate for awhile while raising the CYA/Stabilizer levels. Does anyone know how much stabilizer will be added for every super puck used? I will continue to test the CYA level but if I know I can use a certain number of pucks to bring the CYA up to the correct level then that will allow me not to have to test all the time to make sure the CYA level isn't going too high.

for every 10 points chlorine added via trichlor, 6 points CYA are added.

you can use pool math to figure it out.

By my rough calculations, in a 23k gallon pool, one 3 inch puck would add about 1.5 CYA, approximately.

Also remember that pucks are acidic, and therefor effectively add acid when used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.