in urgent need of help on stains on plaster from cleaning with 8.5% bleach

if the threads have BA on them, the bleach can't get to them, correct?
I would venture to say that in the majority of SLAMs performed, most people don't remove their return jet nozzles. So I think you will be fine. The chlorine will still make its way into those areas. You can always take a closer look at those fittings in the future when you feel "adventurous". :)

now I have air coming out of the returns, and a leaking filter ring to deal with......I'm ready to fill this thing with dirt.....
You sound like me with my cars right now. :hammer: Can't catch a break. DEEP BREATH. Air out of the returns generally means you have a suction side air leak. Air is getting into your plumbing on the suction side somewhere from the poolside skimmer to the pump. Make sure the water level didn't drop too low in the skimmer, then check your pump basket O-ring (lubed well) and any other items in that path before the filter.

The filter O-ring might simply need some pool silicone lube. Hang in there Bob.

I only have petroleum jelly. Will that work? Seems a s if the suction jandy valve to cleaner may be contributing, as when I tighten down the lever bolt, I see less air in the pump basket. Checked valve for cracks, but none. Do they have something inside that can cause air to get into it?
Good luck with your car....I don't know how you have the time to babysit here and get anything else done!

I only have petroleum jelly. Will that work?
Step away from the petroleum! :cop: No Bob, sorry. It will break down the seals and rubber. You want a silicone-based pool lube. Those valves often times have small O-rings in them, so they may need to be inspected, lubed, or replaced. Just add that to your "To-Do" list. :)

Good morning Pat,
I passed the OCLT test this AM. Fc = 11.5, CC = 0.5. I have been reading a lot on this site about the "Maintenance" portion moving forward. I can't find anything about how many times a day I should test and adjust for FC to keep it at 8ppm moving forward on a daily basis. Ideally I would like to test and add once a day in the evening. Is this a proper way to maintain my pool? I still have spots of black algae and am surprised after SLAM is complete. Do I need to go to the Algae forum now to continue to address that?
And, thanks for hanging in there with me get SLAM finished!

I can't find anything about how many times a day I should test and adjust for FC to keep it at 8ppm moving forward on a daily basis. Ideally I would like to test and add once a day in the evening. Is this a proper way to maintain my pool?
Bob, congrats on the passing of the OCLT! So by passing the OCLT, and having no more than 0.5 CCs, I'm also assuming your water is nice & clear correct? So if yes, the SLAM is officially over! :party: So now you can let the FC fall on its own to the target range (based on your "current" CYA of 30). Your FC should always be between 4-6, and never below 2. Actually in AZ, I would never let it drop below 4 anyways. When in doubt, always refer to this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. All of your algae control hinges on that product.

Now onto a couple other things:

As for the suspected black algae and/or copper staining: I would simply stay on this course by keeping your FC between 4-6. If you can maintain it on the higher end of 6 or so that might even be better right now. Not so much for the copper staining, but just in case the other black areas are indeed residual black algae, then the elevated chlorine might help. Not sure if you ever saw this, but the following is our TFP Pool School - Black Algae page. If you haven't seen it already, you'll find it informative. The big thing about BA - elevated chlorine and lots & lots of scrubbing to get to the root system. Since your pool plaster is a bit aged, that leaves it more vulnerable to such issues as the roots can penetrate deeper. Still, stick with that simple process and give it lots of time. You might be surprised at the outcome over a few weeks.

In regards to the copper, I believe you are still waiting on the Jack's products correct? So when those arrive, simply follow those instructions. They also have reps available to call, and I know from other posts they are very good with their customers. If you run into a snag though, let us know.

Having said all of that, I agree Bob that now that your SLAM is complete, we should take a break from this thread as I think we've exhausted it fairly well. If you encounter any specific problems when you get the Jack's, you can start a new thread perhaps in the "Testing & Balancing Your Water" forum. If after a few weeks, and after trying the Jack's treatments, you see no improvement in the suspected Black Algae areas, then you can post a new thread in the "Algae - Prevention & Treatment" forum.

I think that's about it for now - at least in this thread. I'll watch for future threads you may post. In the meantime, remember to test FC everyday. In your case, I would also test pH everyday as well to ensure the pH is in the mid-7s (ideally between 7.4-7.6). Test CYA once a month to ensure it's still where you last saw it (in this case 30). That reminds me Bob ...... summer is on its way. Having lived in Phoenix/Glendale myself for many years, I know what summer is like - HOT. Your CYA will probably need to be increased in the next month or so. When summer hits, be prepared to increase your CYA to about 50, but when you do, go back to that Chlorine chart and see where your new FC will need to be. That's very important.

Okay, enough rambling. :blah: Good luck Bob. Have a great day/week, and if you have any other concerns, just let us know.

Hi pat,
Yes, water is crystal clear....could read a newspaper from the bottom if I weren't blind LOL! Will keep FC in the 4-6ppm range. Is it normal to test and chlorinate only 1x per day for maint. or should it be more frequent? and can I do that in the evenings as I am not an earl riser. As for the CYA, you are right.....100 degrees is just around the corner. Is it ok to use pucks to achieve the CYA goal of 50, and then revert back to liquid bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it normal to test and chlorinate only 1x per day for maint.
Generally yes. We typically test FC once a day unless actively doing a SLAM. So in your case, sure, you can check each evening. That's fine.

As for the pucks and CYA - sure! Just keep track of how many you use so you have a good reference for your CYA test. The Poolmath calculator can help you with that too. Take a look near the bottom where it mentions "Effects of Adding Chemicals". If you enter "8" ounce of "trichlor" (one tablet), you'll see each tab increases FC by 6 ppm, but will also raise CYA by 3.6. In addition, since tabs are acidic, it can lower pH by 0.32. So you can see that even 4 or 5 tablets can easily raise your CYA close to 50. But still test the FC each day and have bleach handy just in case the tabs alone don't keep the FC where it needs to be. Remember that chart - as the CYA increases, so much the FC level.

Hi Pat,
Sorry to bother you. I tried to add some pucks in the FC fields for trichlor in the pool math calculator but it appears those 2 fields (by weight or volume) do not allow you to put an amount in. I must be doing something wrong. Is there a way to show how much it would affect the FC PH and CYA on a 3" per puck basis?
Thank you,
Bob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.