In Pool Circulation/Cleaner or not

Cerealbars

Mar 25, 2020
Garland Texas
Hello Everyone,

Tomorrow I will be signing my first pool contract. I have an option to put in A&A in floor cleaning system. Is this a good system, or will it create headaches for me in the future? We don't have any trees or bushes anymore in the back yard. We back up to a lake (about 100 yards from the actual water) and our house faces north meaning we will get a lot of dirt blown our way because there is nothing to stop it. What do you guys suggest? Is A&A reliable, and if not should i choose another mfg?

I own an A & A In-Floor Cleaning System (IFCS). It has been essentially trouble-free for 7 years. However, had I known about how efficient robotic pool cleaners were, I would have NOT installed an IFCS. The extra complexity in plumbing, the IFCS moving parts, and the higher pump velocities required to run it do not make cost-effective sense. I recommend looking into taking the money you'd spend on an IFCS and use it for a high quality robot pool cleaner.

Maytronics makes some of the best and there is a forum on this website just for robot cleaners. Suggest you read some of the pros/cons from that forum. Good luck!

CB,

Most of us here no longer recommend IFCS as they make plumbing for a simple pool, very complex.. This does not become a problem until later in life when it becomes necessary to repair something.. Worse yet, they now integrate the IFCS into the main pool plumbing, making it almost impossible to abandon or shut off the system if needed.

In the past 15 years, robots have made almost all water powered cleaners (Suction side, Pressure side, or IFCS) obsolete.

A robot looks like this..

Using anything else is a little like using a 15 year old cell phone.. Will it work, yes it will.. does it make a lot of sense?? Not for me.. :mrgreen:

The question I have for you is.. was the IFCS your idea or the pool builders???

Thanks,

Jim R.

CB,

Most of us here no longer recommend IFCS as they make plumbing for a simple pool, very complex.. This does not become a problem until later in life when it becomes necessary to repair something.. Worse yet, they now integrate the IFCS into the main pool plumbing, making it almost impossible to abandon or shut off the system if needed.

In the past 15 years, robots have made almost all water powered cleaners (Suction side, Pressure side, or IFCS) obsolete.

A robot looks like this..

Using anything else is a little like using a 15 year old cell phone.. Will it work, yes it will.. does it make a lot of sense?? Not for me.. :mrgreen:

The question I have for you is.. was the IFCS your idea or the pool builders???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you Jim. It was not my suggestion, as a matter of fact it’s a little over 6K to put in. I asked if I could have it removed and they said they would drop the price of the pool by $495 buck. Something doesn’t seem right there.

I asked if I could have it removed and they said they would drop the price of the pool by $495 buck.

CB,

That tells you exactly what kind of people they are. I suspect they get a bonus for any IFCS sales and they do not want to let it go.

I know what I would tell them.. :mrgreen:

It is not like you are returning a used piece of equipment.. You have not actually even bought it yet. Just ask them why. It can't be labor, as an pool without an IFCS is much, much easier to plumb..

I know it is late in the game, but if you have not signed the contract, I would not do it until the problem is resolved.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Depending on how much money you have committed, stop the process. They are jerking you around. What stage of construction are you?

IFCS's are troublesome more often than not and not very effective.
I'm in the bidding process. Thank you for the insight I will have them remove it. With that said what is the best robotic cleaner is should get? I was going to ask them put in the polaris quattro pro.

CB,

That tells you exactly what kind of people they are. I suspect they get a bonus for any IFCS sales and they do not want to let it go.

I know what I would tell them.. :mrgreen:

It is not like you are returning a used piece of equipment.. You have not actually even bought it yet. Just ask them why. It can't be labor, as an pool without an IFCS is much, much easier to plumb..

I know it is late in the game, but if you have not signed the contract, I would not do it until the problem is resolved.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I agree. Thank you very much Jim. I'm going to post the bids and ask the pros here what i should add if any and what i should keep in terms of pool specs.

Reactions: Jimrahbe and Oly
As far as which robotic cleaner is "best" goes, it is always a cost vs. warranty vs. personal preference decision. This forum is devoted to robotic cleaners: Automatic Pool Cleaners. Spend a few minutes reading the comments in this forum.

I am partial to Maytronics as most of their mid-priced ($500-750) and higher priced ($750+) can be user rebuilt and parts a readily available. As my signature shows, I own a Maytronics Nautilus Plus. I paid about $600 in 2016 and just "refurbished" the tractor drive belts and wheels last fall. I use it twice per week and it scrubs my pool way better than I can brush!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As far as which robotic cleaner is "best" goes, it is always a cost vs. warranty vs. personal preference decision. This forum is devoted to robotic cleaners: Automatic Pool Cleaners. Spend a few minutes reading the comments in this forum.

I am partial to Maytronics as most of their mid-priced ($500-750) and higher priced ($750+) can be user rebuilt and parts a readily available. As my signature shows, I own a Maytronics Nautilus Plus. I paid about $600 in 2016 and just "refurbished" the tractor drive belts and wheels last fall. I use it twice per week and it scrubs my pool way better than I can brush!
Thank you. I will read through the comments.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.