In Floor Cleaner Pump Not Priming

boltjaM3s

Jan 21, 2019
Houston, TX
I have an infloor cleaner. Yesterday, I saw big air bubbles coming out of the cleaning heads in the floor of the pool. I checked the pump and there's no prime at all. I shut off the pump and cleaned the basket (wasn't that dirty). I checked the water valve (paramount 6 valve), but didn't see any debris there.

The pump is not priming at all- there's barely any water coming in from the suction side pipe. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks!

You might need to pull the motor and impeller out of the pump housing to do a full inspection.

But before doing that, have you inspected the pump lid gasket and drain plug gaskets for any cracks? Some pool lube on those would rule out leaks in the gaskets.

How long are you waiting for it to prime? Are you opening filter valve go let air out?
This is for the cleaner pump- it's not connected to the filter, so no way to let the air out. I've waited over a few minutes to let it prime. I initially found out when I noticed air coming out of the cleaner heads- the pump was running for a good hour or so before I noticed.

So the lid and drain plugs are nicely lubed and closed. I checked the impeller and it appears to be free of debris. I opened up the water valve of the cleaner and made sure all the valves are opening and closing. It's beyond me what could be going on. I might have to get someone out to look at it.

The only way that air can continually come out of the in-floor returns is that it must be getting in the suction side of the pump somewhere.

Does this pump draw from the skimmers too or just the cleaner main drain? If the skimmers too, is the water level half way up the skimmers and is the skimmer weir door freely moving?

The only way that air can continually come out of the in-floor returns is that it must be getting in the suction side of the pump somewhere.

Does this pump draw from the skimmers too or just the cleaner main drain? If the skimmers too, is the water level half way up the skimmers and is the skimmer weir door freely moving?

Thanks for the reply! As far as I know, it pulls only from the cleaner drain. The skimmers do have proper water level (and free from debris) as the filter pump pulls water from there. The filter pump is running with no issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is usually a leaf trap canister in between the main drain and the pump suction. Have you lubed that seal as well?

Apologies for not responding back to this- wanted to post an update. I ended up switching out the pump lids between the cleaner pump and filter pump. That helped resolve the issue. I guess it was the lid that wasn't seated properly or something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.