In deck basketball?

I saw this style hoop on another poster’s pool (theirs was in ground) and after perusing the website I liked the Goaliath Junior Hoop. I will need to install it on maybe a large umbrella base so that I can maneuver it around the deck. I still haven’t figured out that part, yet.

I saw this style hoop on another poster’s pool (theirs was in ground) and after perusing the website I liked the Goaliath Junior Hoop. I will need to install it on maybe a large umbrella base so that I can maneuver it around the deck. I still haven’t figured out that part, yet.
Thanks for the idea, looks pretty cool. Although it’s hard to believe there isn’t a way to install a permanent one after the decking is down. Hopefully I get some more input

They said there is no way to do the bonding after the decking is installed. Am I missing something here? Would have to think it’s possible
Think that through. :) It needs to be connected from its location to an existing bond. They can't get under the existing concrete deck, and you can't lay the wire across the patio. If they used a saw to cut a small channel from A to B, they'd likely ruin your existing bond by hitting either the bonding wire itself or making the rebar no longer continuous. So they would create a much bigger problem by solving a basket ball problem.

So. The basketball hoop has to.be 'Portable'

But there is lots of leeway as to what that means. You can pour yourself a honking concrete base and mount the fancy hoop in that. (Then jazz up the big block somehow, veneer stone maybe ?)

Think that through. :) It needs to be connected from its location to an existing bond. They can't get under the existing concrete deck, and you can't lay the wire across the patio. If they used a saw to cut a small channel from A to B, they'd likely ruin your existing bond by hitting either the bonding wire itself or making the rebar no longer continuous. So they would create a much bigger problem by solving a basket ball problem.

So. The basketball hoop has to.be 'Portable'

But there is lots of leeway as to what that means. You can pour yourself a honking concrete base and mount the fancy hoop in that. (Then jazz up the big block somehow, veneer stone maybe ?)
I wish I understood electricity better but I don’t. How is sticking a metal pole in my concrete decking different from sticking a metal pole in concrete block on top of the decking different? From the perspective of why bonding is required.

The concrete block does not diretcly touch earthen ground. It sits on top of the patio and does not form a path for electricity to leave your body if the pool somehow becomes energized while you are in it. Think of bird on high power wires. They sit on the hot leg all day and you could swim in a hot pool in a similar way. If the bird touches the second wire, or the metal tower while still on the hot leg, *poof*

The ladder, diving board rails, umbrella holders , or anything else that provides a direct path to ground (like the electric tower ) needs to be bonded together along with the water so that if you touch one of them from a hot pool, they are already your voltage.

How is sticking a metal pole in my concrete decking different from sticking a metal pole in concrete block on top of the decking different?
As far as electrons are concerned there is no difference. But as far as the written regulations, how they can be interpreted and the knowledge of people who think of them and the agendas of people who approve them, there could be a huge difference...

Reactions: Newdude
No pool electrical expert here, but I don't think the concrete block idea is all that sound of a solution. I think that would need to be bonded, too. Granted, it wouldn't be directly touching the earth, but give it a few weeks to collect some dirt and salt, and its conductive property would definitely increase. The more that dirt and salt collects between block and deck, the better the electrical "connection."

Plus it would be a bear to move around.

Something like this might work for you. Plus, you could easily move it around, or store it away, or get rid of it someday when nobody is interested in using it anymore. Its plastic base solves the bonding issue, I believe.

Granted, it wouldn't be directly touching the earth, but give it a few weeks to collect some dirt and salt, and its conductive property would definitely increase.
Dirt and sand would only help the hoop base make contact with the insulated concrete deck. Otherwise you'd have to bond every piece of patio furniture, deck boxes or anything reachable from in the pool also. They all have dirt under them too. Wood is mostly water so alot of furnature would conduct, especially when they are damp/wet. Anywho the point was that whatever it was needed to be above the deck and not through it like a ladder.

i dont really like my giant concrete block idea unless the plan was to never move it. If it was heavy enough to support the hoop in the 1st post, it wouldn't be very portable. I also never liked the factory bases on hoops or umbrellas, so maybe some kimda happy medium between the two.

Reactions: Dirk
I see what you're saying. The better the connection between block and deck the more bonded the block. That makes sense. But I think we're still missing something, though. I think the metal of the basketball goal has to be connected to the bonding grid. Otherwise, putting the metal post in a block (especially as the block becomes more and more electrically connected to the deck) would be just like putting the metal pole into the deck. No?

Unknown.png

Are there any pool basketball hoops that have fiberglass poles? If I remember right, they make step rails that are non-conductive, which don't have to be bonded...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Otherwise, putting the metal post in a block (especially as the block becomes more and more electrically connected to the deck) would be just like putting the metal pole into the deck. No?
Especially as it and the deck gets soaked. But then its connected through the deck bonding as it doesn't bypass the deck directly to earth ground.

So it either has to be a separate entity that doesn't have its own direct path to earthen ground or it needs its own bonding.

Or it needs to be non conductive and/or have a plastic base like the portable model you posted. (y)

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.