In central FL. Pool refinisher says they will acid wash the old surface then install new quartz over the old stuff

tampapools

Mar 15, 2022
Tampa
I've heard of people having the old plaster removed first, is it acceptable to just install new stuff over the old?

Here's a photo of my pool. It's 19 years old.

Attachments

• signal-2022-04-21-114310_001.jpeg
    signal-2022-04-21-114310_001.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 20
The company who gave me the estimate for quartz refinish is charging $7500. Pool is 36x9.5. 6' deep, 3' on the shallow side.

They said they'd acid wash, then they'd install over the existing quartz surface.

Last edited:
That’s called a skim-coat. It’s the cheapest way to replaster a pool. It’s not the best as it only applies a very thin coat of new plaster. The risks are delamination if the new plaster doesn’t adhere well. A lot of people that don’t plan to own a home long will do that as it is a cheap way to refresh a pool surface for a home sale. Kind of like around here where the house painters will ask you if you want the forever-home coating (3 coats will a brush roll back) or the home-sale coating (watered-down paint sprayed on in two coats). The difference is a few thousand dollars.

It’s better to do a full chip out and replaster. If the company you contacted is unwilling to do that, then keep looking.

Any idea what the chip out costs? This is starting to really get costly because in addition to redoing the pool surface, I bought a new vs pool pump, and was looking to get a pool heater. And it costs $2000 to run 60a 80 foot to the rear of the house... $5000 for the sq150. Then it sounds like I should have the pool repaired before getting the new pump/heater installed. I'm starting to feel burned out.

The chip out is all labor and hauling. So it varies from city to city. I’d expect at least a 50% increase in cost.

Wouldn't removing the old plaster mean they need to add even more to replace it (over the quantity used for skim coat)? Is your 50% based on just the removal of the old plaster or does that account for additional materials? Or would the skimcoat use the same amount of materials either way?

Here's a pic of the pool's current condition. The pool guy said he thought I had another year or two life left on it. The reason for the rush is that there is a black spot forming which appears to be rebar starting to rust.

Attachments

• signal-2022-04-21-140515_001.jpeg
    signal-2022-04-21-140515_001.jpeg
    797.5 KB · Views: 12
  • signal-2022-04-18-093357_001.jpeg
    signal-2022-04-18-093357_001.jpeg
    378.3 KB · Views: 12
The 50% I’m guessing at but I would think that would cover the extra plaster thickness too. Most simple white plaster renovations with chip out are over $10k.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.