Impossible to change waterline tiles?

mdcole

Apr 26, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
It’s been just over two weeks now since they refilled our pool after having it resurfaced, the waterline tiles change and adding a light in the shallow end of the pool. The water didn't come out the color we’d been expecting and we hate how the waterline tiles look with it.

We spoke with our pool contractor and told him we'd like to pay them to redo the tiles. He told us it’s impossible and that if we want them changed we’ll have to redo the surface again as well. We just feel shocked at the moment and don’t really understand why that is. I tried researching it and honestly just ended up more confused than I started. I keep seeing people talking about redoing waterline tiles and no one saying you can’t but at the same time they are all in relation to people who had multiple broken tiles which is not our situation at all.

I’ve also been trying to ignore or just get used to how much I hate it but with the back of the house being mostly glass that really isn’t working very well. We’ll have to redo the pool if that’s the only answer because it’s just not something I can live with indefinitely but being a 21k project it’s going to have to wait until at least after next year because next years house project is already planned.

- So obviously what I really want to hear is that of course we can change the tile but we’ve honestly liked our pool contractor and have trouble believing he wouldn’t agree do it if it can be done. However, if it can be done and he’s somehow mistaken nothing would make us happier!
- I’d also like to understand if we can’t change the tiles, why? Not understanding really hasn’t helped.
- If there are other possible solutions, even short term ones that might make it easier to live with for a couple years. My food coloring idea didn’t really seem viable…
- Any other tips, tricks or helpful suggestions that you are kind enough to share.

I also wanted to say thank you in advance. I originally joined TFP to learn to take amazing care of our “new” pool but I’m grateful that I had somewhere to go with this instead of just continuing to make myself crazy!

Reactions: cgtx
What plaster finish do you have?

Post pics of the water line tile you have.

What can be done partly depends on the type of pool finish you have and the tiles. Removingt he tiles may damage the plaster alongside the tiles and it will be impossible to fix the plaster so it blends in.

Pebble finish is part of the problem and tough to patch.

I know this is subjective but for what it’s worth, I like it.

What color is the finish? We’re getting ready to build a pool and I’ve been looking at the CL Industries site to try to decide on a color. Planning to go and see some pools soon so I’m trying to narrow down the choices.

Reactions: borjis
I know this is subjective but for what it’s worth, I like it.

What color is the finish? We’re getting ready to build a pool and I’ve been looking at the CL Industries site to try to decide on a color. Planning to go and see some pools soon so I’m trying to narrow down the choices.
The Color is Aqua Sky
This is taken mid afternoon when our pool is in full sun. I do have pictures of other times of day and a short video as well. If you think it's a color you might be interested in and would like to see them please just let me know.

And thank you. Most people have actually said they like it. I think it's just really hard to let go of the vision we had in our minds of what it was supposed to look like. We've decided we're going to redo it in the next couple of years. Who knows though, maybe it will grow on us!

Attachments

• 20200703_162048.jpg
    20200703_162048.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
What is the deference between the final product and the vision you had? I think it looks good enough where whatever money it costs to redo could certainly go towards more added value elsewhere.

What is the deference between the final product and the vision you had? I think it looks good enough where whatever money it costs to redo could certainly go towards more added value elsewhere.
This is one of the examples I'd saved. The water just came out much lighter than we'd wanted. It's a beautiful water color, we actually really wouldn't have minded it, if not for the tiles . We love the tiles as well, they are so interesting to look at with the lighting in our yard just not with the water color.

You make a valid point on the cost being used to do other things but after trying for 3 weeks now to convince ourselves we like it, we just don't. Though when we do have it redone we've decided to add a few other things to the to do list. So it won't just be a color change, it will be a Tanning ledge, all new lighting, redo the pool deck, some water features maybe fire too and possibly a second skimmer. Though who knows maybe it will grow on us over the next couple years and we'll just add to it instead of changing the colors!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-16 nptpool ( nptpoolproducts) • Instagram photos and videos.png
    Screenshot_2020-07-16 nptpool ( nptpoolproducts) • Instagram photos and videos.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 102

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Color is Aqua Sky
This is taken mid afternoon when our pool is in full sun. I do have pictures of other times of day and a short video as well. If you think it's a color you might be interested in and would like to see them please just let me know.

And thank you. Most people have actually said they like it. I think it's just really hard to let go of the vision we had in our minds of what it was supposed to look like. We've decided we're going to redo it in the next couple of years. Who knows though, maybe it will grow on us!

I think it is a good idea to wait on it. You can dislike right now, but I would bet in 2-3 years your mind will have moved on and you won't even care about what tile it is any more.

When I see your inspiration photo, the color you truely wanted, I can see why you're disappointed. I would HAVE to fix it.

Not that it looks awful, just looks nothing like you wanted

I guess when you compare it to what you wanted there is a difference and I understand expectations. On the other hand I don't hate it. It is a very nice blue pool. I know the majority of the time you are enjoying the pool or seeing it are likely daylight hours, but change out the bulb again if it isn't already LED, put an LED bulb in and use one of the dark blue settings. It'll be all you dreamed of every evening as the sun sets.

I think it looks beautiful, but I also love your inspiration. I’m curious - why did you choose the large tiles?

The water color comes from the plastic, not the tile. Personally, I think it looks great! I recently had my pool replastered and re-tiled. I regret the tile color I chose, it's much darker than it looked like in the showroom. The cost to redo it outweighs my regret, so I've learn to live with it. I know it looks great, but it wasn't what I imagined. Nobody knows my regret though, I just keep it to myself ;).

It could be done, but it’s a difficult job. So, expect a hefty bill if you can find anyone who even wants to do it.

You would have to cut under and above the tile with a continuous masonry saw blade and then chisel out the tiles and remortar them back in place.

Then, you would regrout everything. If done correctly, you would just have a thin grout line beneath the tile.

When I see your inspiration photo, the color you truely wanted, I can see why you're disappointed. I would HAVE to fix it.

Not that it looks awful, just looks nothing like you wanted
Since I can’t do anything about it right now I’m just sticking to the optimistic maybe I’ll learn to love it but I also know myself well enough to know it’s almost a guarantee I’ll HAVE to redo it.

And I have to say, I love that someone gets that lol

It could be done, but it’s a difficult job. So, expect a hefty bill if you can find anyone who even wants to do it.

You would have to cut under and above the tile with a continuous masonry saw blade and then chisel out the tiles and remortar them back in place.

Then, you would regrout everything. If done correctly, you would just have a thin grout line beneath the tile.
Thank you so much for the detailed answer I really appreciate it.

Finding out why it was so hard to do and what it entails has made this a bit easier to take.

Besides, we actually really like our pool contractor so when he was like can’t be done I believed him. I didn’t want to and I didn’t understand why he couldn’t but I knew he would help if he felt he could.

A lot of the answers have made me smile, which I needed but yours and a couple of the others have really helped me come to terms with just leaving it as is for now and seeing how we feel when we’re ready to do the rest of the outdoor remodel so thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.