Splitpi

Apr 13, 2021
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, this is my first post so I apologize if blunt.

I was hit during the texas freeze and my Jandy JXI400N manifold along with my Jandy PB4-60 impeller did not survive. I lost power for a good 9 hours. After 3 hours of no power, I followed the pool builder manual and drained my pumps and filters. When I tried to drain the heater, nothing came out, so it was already toasted by then. The manual failed to mention my Fusion 2 chlorinator drain plug or the PB4 (but I suspect this was toast too). All total, I lost 7 valves, the Chlorinator, Heater Manifold, and Pool Vac pump (PB4). The chlorinator I had found up in Indiana and had it shipped down to me. I even helped out a local pool guy by picking up PVC connector parts for him while on a business trip to Florida as he could not get them elsewhere. Live and learn I guess. I have the parts on order from poolsunlimited, since early March but am still being told at least 6 more weeks. Looking for the following parts:
  • PB4-60 Parts
    • R0445500 - Polaris Mechanical Seal (these are not too tough to find)
    • R0536600 - Polaris O-ring Backplate (these are not too tough to find)
    • R0536400 - Polaris Booster Pump New Style Impeller (Pure Unobtanium)
  • JXI400 Parts
    • R0590005 - JXI Manifold Backplate (400 Series) (Pure Unobtanimum)
    • R0590100 - JXI Three Port Manifold (Pure Unobtanimum)
    • R0589500 - JXI Gasket and Seals kit (these are not too tough to find)
I saw another post by mjfederick here: Cracked heater manifold

I may try something similar for a short-term fix, but if anyone may have spares without too high of markup, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
400AB644-7139-428C-A37A-66EF5E4A572E.jpeg6E98E1FE-0504-48A7-8F9E-B55C48B6A510.jpeg
So I took it apart today to verify what my pool guy said. The Versaflow valve was definitely cracked. The manifold had a small hairline on inside but I can not see it on outside. I think the cracked Versaflow was the issue my pool guy said

As an update, my heater is now fully operational. I epoxied the broken piece back onto the VersaFlow. Drilled the corners out of the large crack so to stop it from growing. Then ground the cracks on both the inside and outside, then sanded around where the epoxy will go. Epoxied and fiberglass-reinforced all the cracks on the heater manifold. Finally, I sprayed it with a satin black so it looks nice.

The manifold was reassembled and then I built a static pressure test rig and pressurized it to 20 psi and let it sit for 30 minutes and observed no leaks. After it passed this test, I then removed the heater bypass and plumbed the heater back into the system.

I went ahead and ordered a new VersaFlow in case the epoxy gives way at some point. I still have the manifold on backorder and I'll just let that come in as it comes available so I have a spare for next time.

Anyways, great success. It is fixed!

Last edited:
Final update. I noticed the heater was reading pool temps high and shutting off thinking the temp was at the set point of 80 when it was only 75. My first thought was... ok... bad temp sensor. Then I went and looked at where my pool guy put the temp sensor when he put in the bypass and it was on the outflow side of the heater rather than the inflow side. A quick 3/8 drill hole, a piece of scrap rubber, and a band clamp later the sensor was moved to the correct side. Now it is reading correctly.

If only I could find a PB4-60 impeller and my system would be back to normal.

Reactions: imrodee and zea3
Ok... So false alarm. After a month, the tracking label out of Polaris never shipped. I'm still looking for an R0536400 PB4-60 Impeller. I contacted Pools Supplies Unlimited who I purchased it through and they have started the refund on that item, which is great in that aspect. The good news is I have received a new JXI backplate and manifold (my epoxy job is still holding strong, as is the gluing of the versaflow valve back together), so I will have spares for the next crazy freeze.

So if anyone has a spare R0536400 that you are willing to sell. Please message me. My pool cleaner robot is looking mighty sad being out of the water for so long.

Well.... Got some success on the impeller front. Found a guy on Ebay who sold me one for $55 and I received it the next day in the mail. Took about 20 minutes to install it last night, I only replaced the spring seal on the volute side, and not the ceramic one. I know the documentation says to do both. Also replaced the O-ring around volute. Given its a < 2 year old pump it should be fine. The fix works like a champ and pool cleaner is back in action.

Also Pool Supplies unlimited messed up my order on the JXI intake manifold. Instead, someone shipped me the metal exhaust elbow. So I have returned it. But I do have a new JXI backplate now. Planning on getting redundant parts for the next crazy ice storm.

Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.