immediately green after starting pump

xrabbi

Jun 22, 2020
NYC
Our gunnite pool was recently emptied and resurfaced (epoxy). I am slowly refilling it now by hose from house well water. Once I got to about halfway (12,000 gallons) I added one bottle of liquid chlorine and turned on the pump, using only main drain suction. The water had been crystal clear but quickly turned the green you see in the picture in about 25 minutes. At first I assumed it was oxidized iron or copper from the well water -- but I took a sample to Leslie's for testing and they found 0 iron and 0.1 copper. So what could it be? An incredibly very dirty filter or lines? No time for algae to have bloomed. Ideas/suggestions appreciated.

20230811_145131.jpg

Sorry, it's a different house/pool, this one is upstate. The water actually runs through a filter and water softener before going out to pool . . .

To get the iron out, does TFP believe in a return line filter, like "acquabag", or the Metal Out chemical product?

filter-bag-for-pool-2_600x600.jpg

Really depends. Different things seem to work on different pools.

For your short pool season I would use a sequestrant this year like PROTEAM Metal Magic .

Next year when you open use an iron filter on your fill water and try polyfill in your skimmers.

I've now finished filling, using an ecoone filter on the hose at all times. As soon as I added chlorine, water went to the dark greenish color shown below. Green is supposed to be copper, iron supposed to be brown. Would fresh filtered well water have that much copper in it? Dutchess County, New York.

1000017795.jpg

I have that Acquabag filter on the return line and it is supposed to start showing brown or green color of the trapped iron after a few minutes. It's been running for an hour and still white ... They make a different finer-mesh filter for copper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.