I'm starting to have doubts - please motivate me

Added 30lb baking soda, TA is now 70! Ph is still too low to register. I have one tester that goes as low as 6.8 and its still not showing.

PoolMath is telling me I need to add 207lb of Borax.

I dont think thats feasible. :(

:). Slow down some. Remember to post all test results--when you can.

The PH test can be inaccurate at FC levels above 10

With TA up to 70, you might be able to get PH up by aerating--turning a return eye up to break the surface maybe?

If you still have baking soda, you can raise TA a bit more and PH will rise --as long as you aren't using anymore trichlor or dichlor.

:). Slow down some. Remember to post all test results--when you can.

Sorry - I had updated the stuff on Page 1, but they're over several posts. I'll post all numbers each time from now on.

With TA up to 70, you might be able to get PH up by aerating--turning a return eye up to break the surface maybe?

Will do. I pointed them down a few weeks ago because something I read said it would improve circulation.

If you still have baking soda, you can raise TA a bit more and PH will rise --as long as you aren't using anymore trichlor or dichlor.

I just put 30lbs in. I'll turn an eye up and test again in the morning.

I'm really worried because for the first time in weeks I can see clearly almost 2' down! This evening I could even make out the brush on the floor in the shallow end! PROGRESS!!

FC = 1
CC = 1
Ph > 6.8 (turned yellow)
TA = 70
CYA = 90

If your CYA number is truly 90 your SLAM chlorine level is 35.

In order to rid your pool completely if the algae and it’s cloudiness you need to dose up to 35 and keep it there by adding the necessary chlorine as often as possible.

Once your SLAM is 100% complete you must maintain a chlorine level between 10-12. Any drop below that target is subject to allow algae growth once again.

The CYA level when I started the slam was 30.

I havent had a chance to adjust to the new CYA level.

However, that CYA stuff is really sketchy.

When I first learned to test water (about 2 weeks ago) it was 140-150. I tested it over and over, even doing the recommended dilution to test over 100.

I drained the pool, refilled, and it tested to about 50-52.

Then it rained. I couldnt get any reading on CYA then.

I bought stabilizer, bringing it back up to 30.

I didnt test it again until last night.

Currently its pouring buckets of rain out there, so I'll test CYA again when I get home and adjust chlorine to match it.

But still, I'm really suspect of the CYA test and the little black dot.

HI Max,

Test your CYA outside in bright sunlight with your back to the sun. If it's pouring or too late when you get home, just wait. You probably did increase your CYA with that trichlor so for now, I'd be targeting FC for CYA of your last good reading which was 50 after bringing it up from 30 right?

For extended instructions see this link: Pool School - CYA

Numbers this afternoon

FC = 7
pH = 6.8
TA = 80
CYA = 80

Its been thunderstormin' this afternoon. I'd say that helped drop the CYA. It threw a bunch of leaves in the pool, so I supposed that helped with the pH - altho the jets have been pointed up all day too.

I'm going to vacuum and run out a good bit, then fill with new water. Tonight I'll test CYA again. Whatever it reads I'll go ahead with the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've had PoolMath on my phone for a couple weeks now, but didnt understand what was going on with logs.

I get it now and started using it last night instead of the online pool calculator and google sheets.

Today I discovered PoolMath will tell me how to adjust, too. I've been using the poolcalculator thing, but going forward will probably just rely on poolmath.

I taught for a local college for 14 years. 90% adults and they learn differently than kids. You simply cannot rely on most adults to read directions, particularly if they have to go find them.

And guess what? Me either!

There are 3 learning styles - reading, doing, and much less common, listening.

But I like the old adage, "There are men who learn by reading, men who learn by watching, and then there are those that just have to pee on the electric fence."

Thats me. I have to pee on the electric fence. :cool:

(btw, the name "PoolMath" kept me from downloading it for a long time. I hate math. Turns out, it does the math for you, but the name doesnt suggest that!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.