Lemonhead

Jun 3, 2020
Middletown NY-211
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ever since following the program here and reading and learning and doing everything I’m supposed too something isint right. I vaccume the pool every day. And overnight I wake up to stuff all over the bottom of the pool. It passes the overnight chlorine loss test. I’ve never once tested positive for cc. It’s always at zero. I tried slamming . What is this ? Theirs alot of trees near my pool but yesterday evening their was even a gust of wind. Calm as can be out and I vaccumed very slowly before it got dark. What I’m the world is happening because I can’t take it anymore ?
Fc 7
Cc 0
Ta 70
Ph 7.4
Cya 60
Ch didn’t check this time . It’s always normal
It’s not green looking like algae. It’s not sandy like mustard algae. It’s kind of like a mud spot

Attachments

• F9F63F26-01D4-4A2F-809F-7159220BC0A0.jpeg
    F9F63F26-01D4-4A2F-809F-7159220BC0A0.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 9F344517-785E-4B10-82EA-0E3E0C710EDA.jpeg
    9F344517-785E-4B10-82EA-0E3E0C710EDA.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 38
Can u collect some of it & feel it/smear it on a paper towel?
Generally, Gritty = dirt, slimy = algae
Regular algae & mustard algae can be many colors
When u did the SLAM Process did it go away or it’s color fade?
When the pump is off does it still accumulate?
Have u done a deep cleaning of your sand filter?

Reactions: Texas Splash
1.The slam was few weeks ago so I do t remember. But I do never have cc showing up.
2. I leave the pump on almost all the time so I could check to see if that makes a difference.
3. Never deep cleaned my sand filter. And before I knew better last summer I vaccumed a lot of green algea into the filter instead of vac to waste .
4. Sounds simple but I’m a simple person lol. How would I go about trying to collect some of it ? It just kind of disappears when I go near it .
5. My water is always maintained all summer with plenty of fc ( between 6 and 9 ) I have cya like 55 or 60

You may be seeing dead algae. It will pass through many filters when vacuuming. It settles overnight. Try vacuum to waste to get rid of the dead stuff. Have your hose running in the pool to replace any lost water.

1.The absence of cc’s doesn’t necessarily mean no organics present
2. If accumulation stops when the filter is off it may point to a filtering issue - try vacuuming to waste & then leaving the filter off overnight.
3. If u have ever used pool store potions, clarifier etc. you could have channeling/clumping of the sand not allowing it to catch all the debris.
Deep cleaning the sand is something that should be done every couple seasons anyway & it allows u to inspect things & ensure your sand level is correct as well.
4. This sounds like algae as it generally “poofs” away & nearly impossible to collect.
5. Once You have done the SLAM Process to completion, meaning u have maintained slam level fc until
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)
& u are certain u scrubbed every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, drain covers etc)
Then you move on to the Mustard Algae protocol (raising fc to MA levels for 24hrs) if that is what u think is going on.

Ok thank you . I’m going to vac to waste and leave filter/pump off afterwards and see how it looks tomorrow. If floor is clean I know my problem is the filter . The pool season in New York is just about over. So incase it’s a filter issue I’ll just replace sand after closing . I’m sure a deep clean is good too but I have bags of pool filter sand in my garage taking up space already lol

Update : thanks for helping me trouble shoot what was happening. It turns out it’s definitely not a chemistry problem. I take alot of pride in maintaing my numbers and vacuuming the pool. I don’t have an algea problem it’s a filter problem. I vacuumed the pool to waste . Than left the filter off for while and just checked. The floor is as clean as I left it . The stuff in pics dead or alive is in my sand. I’m closing the pool in 2 weeks so at that time I’m going to replace the sand and look forward to the cleanest pool on the block next summer. Again thanks for the help. I learned something else about my filter. It leaks when I put it in recirculating mode. Oh well. I don’t need it to ever really do that anyways . Last update : filters been running for an hour and I see the stuff accumulating . I’m glad I can fix this through the help of this group !!!!!!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.