I'm slamming too

Jun 13, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Hi

I haven't visited much for the last couple years because my pool has been in good shape. This year, it looks good but has been consuming Cl. I thought maybe my 12 year old salt cells had finally given up the ghost but I tested them and they are still producing Cl. I read all the time about how they should not last this long, but they are generating roughly 5 hrs/day for maybe four months, so roughly 600 hrs/yr.

I decided to SLAM and with my CYA at 60, targeted 24ppm yesterday afternoon. I tested before bed and was at 25ppm. This morning, I tested at 17.5ppm with maybe just over 0.5 CC, so added 200 oz of shock. I'll maintain that today and do another overnight test.

For now, my question is that with the amount of shock required to reach 25ppm, my PH is higher than I am able to read. Should I treat that now or wait till I get a good overnight test and let the Cl bleed off.

My other reading prior to SLAM

TA=110
ph=7.6
CH = 210
CYA=60
Salt=3400

I still find the ability to measure CYA a bit of a challenge. I took a sample to Leslie's and they measured 40 using the black dot in the tube method and the place I purchased the pool from measured it at 60. They use some kind of light transmisstivity for their tests. It's possible that part of my problem may have been too low a CYA reading given I have a SWG, but at least at 60, SLAMming is still a reasonable option. My original CYA reading upon opening was 60. I added 2.5 lbs of CYA, and a couple weeks later, it still read at 60.

So I'd love some input about adjusting pH at this point as well as any insight into the lack of a measurable CYS change after adding the CYA.

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.