I’m sinking…getting weak….

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
So i have been slamming the pool now going on week 2. The first week there were problems with stupidity and torrential downpour. Week 2 and the CL is going up and down. Just when I think we’re clear, it goes down again. I am checking it 2-3 times a day and adjusting and then something told me to check the pH. I did and it was 8+!!!!!
Our slam level is 10. That was 2 days ago. Today it’s again 8.

I really really want to just get one of those algae things from Leslie’s. We’ve gone through six gallons of bleach. The water is clear. I see no algae. I want to pull my hair out!

What is your CYA level?

Your pH test is invalid when your FC is over 10. Don’t adjust pH during the SLAM Process. Just test FC, CC.

Do you meet the three exit criteria for the SLAM Process?

If you only lost 2 pm of FC over 2 days, have a clear pool, with 0 CC then you are done.

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgtfp
Post a full set of test results from just before starting the SLAM Process from your TF-100

If you are fully following the SLAM Process, the FC level required for the SLAM would be 12 - as you are supposed to increase the CYA to 30 before starting and the SLAM level for CYA 30 is 12.

pH test is only valid when FC is 10 or less.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You’ve only used 6 gallons of bleach for a 2 week
SLAM Process in a 20k gallon pool?
Each gallon of 10% only raises your fc by 5ppm.
Are you sure you’re following the article?
The average fc loss per day in an algae free pool is 2-4 ppm so 6 gallons is just maintenance level consumption for roughly 12 days in your pool volume. For the slam process it is generally much more.

You’ve only used 6 gallons of bleach for a 2 week
SLAM Process in a 20k gallon pool?
Each gallon of 10% only raises your fc by 5ppm.
Are you sure you’re following the article?
The average fc loss per day in an algae free pool is 2-4 ppm so 6 gallons is just maintenance level consumption for roughly 12 days in your pool volume. For the slam process it is generally much more.
Yeah, that doesn’t sound like a lot of bleach but it’s more concentrated than Clorox. ANd my Slam level is only 10 so it is not taking as much….

Y’all i am done at the end of the week. I will go to the pool store and get their Crud. I have been slamming since April 2nd. Water is clear. I see no algae, pool has been brushed but I still can’t maintain FC. I keep a log of ALL the levels and bleach I have added since them.

My last week is as follows: (taken morning, afternoon and night or just morning and night)
4/14 9 (only 1 check i had a lonnnnng da)
4/15 8.5 and 7
4/16 6 and 7.5
4/17 8.5, 6, 10 and 6
4/18 10 and 6
4/19 8.5, 6 and 7.5
4/20 10.5, 9.5, 8.5
4/21 8.5
4/22 6.5, 3, 8.5 crazy, eh? I checked it TWICE. Don’t know how it could be that low! We did have the yard landscaped tho…maybe mulch?
4/24 8.5
I just don’t understand why it’s taking so long with clear water and no algae in sight!

Have you done an OCLT to confirm that you have algae?

6 gallons of 12.5 for 2 weeks is less than 3 ppm of FC per day. That seems like normal FC consumption to me, especially if it is sunny and you only have 20 CYA.

On a related note, I assume once you are done with your SLAM, you will get you CYA up to the recommended level for a SWG?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your water is clear and no sign of algae - what is your reasoning for needing to SLAM? Your CYA was pretty low, which could explain your FC loss, unless you tested after dusk one night and before dawn the next morning (an OCLT). As mentioned, 6 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine in a 19k gallon pool isn't a lot. Last year I would through that normally in about two weeks and I'm up here in Wisconsin, and my CYA was higher than yours at 30-40.

You could be all set already. The Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is going to be the real key to know.

Have you done an OCLT to confirm that you have algae?

6 gallons of 12.5 for 2 weeks is less than 3 ppm of FC per day. That seems like normal FC consumption to me, especially if it is sunny and you only have 20 CYA.

On a related note, I assume once you are done with your SLAM, you will get you CYA up to the recommended level for a SWG?
Of course. But I can’t pass the overnight.

Did you scrub inside the umbrella holder tubes? Like all the way down in with something like a bottle brush? Did you scrub in the skimmers? Did you remove the weir doors and check for algae there. Did you scrub behind any light and in niches? Have you been running your waterfall and scrubbing the outlets there? (I'm assuming that is what the small wall is...?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Y’all i am done at the end of the week. I will go to the pool store and get their Crud.
My question to you is, "what will they tell you is wrong?" They won't speak TFP. They'll test your pool water sample and just want to sell you something expensive.

I just don’t understand why it’s taking so long with clear water and no algae in sight!
It’s hiding somewhere….

Let’s make sure you’re covering all the bases —> Test cya & get it to 30ppm then continue with slam @ the appropriate fc level FC/CYA Levels
The sun is likely consuming all your fc leaving little to get to work on your remaining algae.

You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

Be sure to 👇
*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there. Seriously check everything.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

You’re likely very close to being done if things are crystal clear. It’s time for the home stretch. As mentioned above be sure the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is done after sunset & before sunrise.
You really haven’t used that much chlorine- maybe $50-$80 worth?
The pool store cure will probably be $200 or more if you have to replace your filter media or exchange water because of fun potions 🧪 or who knows what.

Reactions: newdude
Today’s test this morning. Down to 5 this morning. The numbers you see on the right is the whole number, not the half. I dont’ know why I started the numbers that way….but the dips are weird. Like 4/22 it dipped to 6 and then 5 yesterday and 5 today. It’s crazy. We took the lights out, bleached them, took off all the jet nozzles. Brushing every day. This is just crazy and it;s NOT getting better. We’re on our second box of four plus 2 Lowe’s bleaches….sigh…this is never ending.

Attachments

• 823E0C89-FA9F-4989-BE79-B59101AF6C31.jpeg
    823E0C89-FA9F-4989-BE79-B59101AF6C31.jpeg
    448.4 KB · Views: 19

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.