I'm re-laying out my plumbing to replace major worn out parts.........

Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
I'm putting in a Intelliflo and a new Raypak heater this fall and am laying out the piping etc so I will have all the parts I need to do the job in a day, hopefully.
With the intelliflo variable, I need to put it at an angle so as to get a straight pipe into the inlet as opposed to an elbow going in as it is now. So that is a big change.
I bought 2 new 3 way valves because I don't want to try to salvage the old ones as they are sketchily installed now.

Here is a pic of what I have now......

and here is the start of my new layout........ LOOKS LIKE THE NEW LAYOUT DID COME THROUGH........... but not the orig picture which is smaller.

Well, I cannot get the files loaded, it does not allow me for some reason, 24 KB.

My main question is not using the backflush contraption. The one I have now is kaput, as I had to glue a bottom plug to stop it from leaking. I do not backflush anymore, as I prefer to pull the filter out and wash it down. So I do not want to install the backflush plumbing, is this a smart move or dumb move.?

Attachments

• Assem1.jpg
    Assem1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 61
P,

I assume you are getting rid of a push-pull backwash valve... I don't see it as a major issue as I never backwash my DE filters anymore either. I just tear them apart twice and year and clean them..

I am not a fan of your layout however.. More of a personal thing than function.. I would want someone looking at my work to think that I did on purpose rather than by accident.. :p

Having a straight pipe into the IntelliFlo is not all that important. The straighter and longer the better, but I've seen plenty of IntelliFlo pumps with 90 degree elbows right in front of the pump without any issues.

Let's see what our other members have to say...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

"I am not a fan of your layout however.. More of a personal thing than function.. I would want someone looking at my work to think that I did on purpose rather than by accident.. "

Please explain. I don't like things to look like an accident either. Are you referring to the angle of the pump? The orig plumbing also has a backflow valve which from what I read is not necessary, as the pump is ground level with the pool.

P,

Yes, I was just poking at you for the new pump being at an angle... :poke: Just wanted you to know it is not all that much of an issue to have an elbow in the input pipe...

I suspect that the check valve may be there to prevent a raised spa from draining back into the pool when the pump is off..

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

Yes, I was just poking at you for the new pump being at an angle... :poke: Just wanted you to know it is not all that much of an issue to have an elbow in the input pipe...

I suspect that the check valve may be there to prevent a raised spa from draining back into the pool when the pump is off..

Thanks,

Jim R.

When the pump is on the spa gets the water from the pump and the spa has a dam which water flows into the pool. And the pool and spa when idle are at the same level. So no, to the raised spa.
I don't think you can argue that a straighter line going into the pump would make the pump more efficient. But by how much? That can be debated. Why did I put it at an angle? To ensure that the pump works as it is supposed to. I followed instructions for a change :). Also I put it at an angle because I'm capable of doing things at angles. :)

Thanks for your input.

phil

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.