The Sarge

Feb 23, 2020
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been slamming for 2 days and have seen no visible improvement of my water. Algae is still present, filter has been running. If anything the green is darker. When I started I dropped the PH to 7.4 and started the SLAM, and have been keeping up the chlorine volume to 16ppm. I ha e been using calhypo 73% up to this point. My last check before bed, the ppm went down to 1 ppm used liquid chlorine to change it up. to get to 16 ppm OCLT I'm at 22ppm! I did add a trichlor puck also to my floater just to help. Brushing constantly and nothing. The algae wasnt bad so normally i fix this issue overnight but not this time. My pressure gauge is at clean stage and hasn't moved. I changed out the sand in my filter about a month ago and have had no issues except now. Do yall think it's a filter issue or something else. Should i add DE? Thanks for the suggestions.
Sun's been beating down here in South Texas so I know that's a factor.

Attachments

• 20220604_113114.jpg
    20220604_113114.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220604_113038.jpg
    20220604_113038.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Some questions for you:
- How are you testing the water? Which test kit?
- Post a full set of water test results.
- Cal-hypo is probably the last thing I would use for a SLAM Process. Liquid chlorine is the way to go.
- What else has been added to the water? That green is indicative of copper to my eyes. Any algaecides or chlorinating products with the word blue in it?
- Are you on a well?

At the end of the day, the filter has nothing to do with that coloring, this is a chemical issue.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Some questions for you:
- How are you testing the water? Which test kit?
- Post a full set of water test results.
- Cal-hypo is probably the last thing I would use for a SLAM Process. Liquid chlorine is the way to go.
- What else has been added to the water? That green is indicative of copper to my eyes. Any algaecides or chlorinating products with the word blue in it?
- Are you on a well?

At the end of the day, the filter has nothing to do with that coloring, this is a chemical issue
I haven't used anything but chlorine up until last night which I used a puck trichlor clorox extra blue. City water no algecides. As of right now using a Taylor K -2006-C
TA- 160
PH -7.4
FC -18
CC -1
CH - 370 I think this is the problem guessing it's the use of my calhypo chlorine? Zappit 73....
CYA - 20
So I should back wash replace some water and use DE then to try to lower? My local tap water is very hard just fyi.

Last edited:
Let's hope that dark/shiny green is just algae. Surprised you are able to hold an elevated FC level with such a low CYA. You have a couple options though depending on cost for your area. To help try to expedite a SLAM Process, you can exchange some water (if water is cheap) then re-start the SLAM, or just continue with the SLAM Process now. Your numbers aren't bad for the SLAM, you just need to increase the CYA by 10-20 ppm.. I wouldn't worry about TA or CH at this point. No DE either.

Reactions: The Sarge
Don’t backwash until the PSI increases from your last backwash reading by 25% or so. Slightly dirty sand will trap more small particles.

How often are you testing and bringing FC back to SLAM levels?

Don’t backwash until the PSI increases from your last backwash reading by 25% or so. Slightly dirty sand will trap more small particles.

I am testing morning, noon, night. I tested around 5pm FC was at 7.5 I put 1.2 gallons of liquid chlorine to bring it up to 12ppm according to pool math. I just checked it rn at midnight its at 21ppm.

I'm just having a hard time understanding what the issue is. My levels were good and over the last few days algae developed and now I've been slamming for two days. I add about 4 oz of cla hypo daily and it I has been fine the last 3 months. I shock weekly and check my ph twice a week at least. The only thing I did differently was add conditioner about 1 week ago bc my CYA is low around 20ppm but I'm still getting the same CYA even now. My flow is good, I'm brushing 4-5 times during this SLAM. Somethings off....

Two days is not a long SLAM, especially only checking a few times a day. If you want it to go quicker, test every couple of hours while you’re awake and raise FC each time to be in range.

The brightness of the green sure seems to say metals to me too, but it’s hard to tell with the cloudiness. Keep up the SLAM and see if water clarity improves even with the green tint.

Also, if you keep your FC in range, you don’t need to shock weekly. Need to know what your FC levels are daily when you’re not in SLAM mode and add to your FC, making sure it never goes below minimum for your CYA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So last night FC was at 21 this morning FC is at 17. Had to back wash since pressure gauge was high
Those two things tell you the SLAM is working. Be patient, Organics in your pool (algae, most likely) are consuming too much of your FC and that is reflected by the filter catching the dead organics (which increases your psi).

Maintain your patience and stay the course. 3-7 days for a SLAM to complete is normal.

Test as often as you can, up to once an hour, and add FC each time to maintain the SLAM level. Pump running constantly. Keep the FC up and you should get to cloudy blue.

Here's my story of this year's SLAM. Long Slow SLAM The more often you can test, redose, and brush the faster it will go. But, if you can't spend more time on your pool, it will happen, it will just take a while.

I'm just having a hard time understanding what the issue is. My levels were good and over the last few days algae developed and now I've been slamming for two days. I add about 4 oz of cla hypo daily and it I has been fine the last 3 months. I shock weekly and check my ph twice a week at least. The only thing I did differently was add conditioner about 1 week ago bc my CYA is low around 20ppm but I'm still getting the same CYA even now. My flow is good, I'm brushing 4-5 times during this SLAM. Somethings off....
4 oz of cal hypo is not enough for a 26k pool in texas. If your water is already really hard, cal hypo is going to make it worse. Don’t use any more of that or the xtra blue pucks. Those are making the problem worse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.