I'm an Algae Farmer

maxq23

May 1, 2019
cozumel mexico
Hi Folks,

Numbers below via Taylor Kit; all checked and re-checked. Just finished 4-day SLAM.....and my pool is turning green, again.

I'm at my wit's end; have been following the TFP process, I know a couple of my numbers are not quite perfect, but with the overall high levels of chlorine I've just submitted my pool to I am frustrated to be constantly fighting algae.

Small film of green dust on pool floor; I can get the water looking great at times, but generally for only about 5 days before I'm fighting algae.

I'm beginning to suspect my filter is undersized. Any advice appreciated!!

FC 6 (3 days after 4-day SLAM process. All liquid Chlorine)
pH 7.5
TA 100 (Slightly on high side. Can adjust w Muriatic Acid)
CH 400
CYA 56 (Was 110 three weeks ago; fired company who used only trichlor pucks for 4 months. Drained approx 33% and am only using liquid chlorine until I achieve 35 or so, then will toss an occasional puck in as CYA is needed.)

Small pool, 5500 gallons

Thanks in advance!

Hola Max!
I'm wondering if you might have hidden bits of algae that are causing this problem? They can creep up again especially if not brushed because algae can form a "biofilm" that protects it. Brushing disrupts the film.

Any lights or ladders that haven't been opened up for inspection and exposure to chlorine? Did you brush daily during your SLAM process?

Another issue is that FC is on the low side for a CYA of 60. You have to read the test as 60 for any finding over 50. Its not a linear reading but rather CYA is read as a logarithmic value.

Review the CYA/FC chart and use the 60ppm for a SLAM value, but also find your safe daily FC level (hint: 7-9ppm is what you need to maintain.) FC/CYA Levels

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you Maddie,

All lights, nooks n crannies look fine.

I did NOT brush daily during the SLAM..brushed before and immediately after however.

My OCDT shows no drop, CL steady (I am at low side of range / will raise).

...And I have a light film of algae dust on the pool bottom. I'll vacuum this to waste (again).

Is it possible I've got an undersized filter? Running pump for 6 hours per day.

Thanks in advance to all,
Max

Hey Max 👋
An undersized filter may make filtering out particulates (like dead algea) difficult (take longer) but water chemistry is what effects algae (specifically fc/cya ratio).
No filter- no matter the size, can overcome live algea proliferation.
I want to be sure you are understanding the SLAM Process fully.
You are to raise fc to slam level for your cya - which would be 24ppm fc for your cya of 60ppm.
Then you Maintain that 24ppm around the clock ⏰ until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria as detailed in the article.
Your poolmath logs do not reflect this has occurred.
Every hour your fc is below slam level algea wins a little.
After passing all 3 end of slam criteria you then maintain the high fc target for your cya - so, 9 ppm. You don’t want to skirt the minimum lest nasties will grow.
If u have visible algae your slam is not complete.

Thank you Dragger,

I think my testing wasn't as clinical as it should have been, however I definitely paid attention to the SLAM / CYA - Chlorline relationship, maintained it. In retrospect I should've drained 50% of pool (CYA was at 110!) but have it at mid 50's now.

Is it possible this latest film of algae is the final "death-throe" of the process and tomorrow I'll wake up with a clean floor? CL now at 9, CYA 56. Other numbers good.

If I have algae tomorrow, I'll SLAM again.

Unless it is white/grey it’s alive & proliferating- slam level fc is the answer- anything lower is just playing with it.
Also a note - even if it is white/grey (dead) that means the pool is not clear & SLAM Process continues.

When you SLAM try and maintain the FC through out the day and add bleach as many times as you can. I was able to do it 3 times per day. One in the AM before work, coming home at lunch and then a final time in the evening. Be sure to log your results each time so the experts can help. I am new myself but viewing what you logged and I can tell you did not complete the SLAM properly. I highly recommend a speed stir for your test kit. It helped me complete the testing task much easier. Also come back and post daily in your thread to look for input and support. I was very frustrated when I got a slimy pool but everyone here walked me through the process. Good luck!

Reactions: Mdragger88
You guys are awesome; thank you for the input.

So far, the pool looks great.

Maintaining the FC at the high end (9) but zero algae dust this morning.

Added some chlorine last night plus had some rain so pH was high; just put in 300ml of acid so will check that in a couple hours.

Everyone's indicating they're reading my "log"...where do I find that on the website?

Edit: Found log history under my profile / disregard

Thanks again everyone :)
Max

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
...and a light film of green algae to wake up to again this morning. :(

I guess I need to SLAM again?

Q: When vacuuming daily, is this vacuuming to "Waste" or filter?

Q: Filter remains on for entire SLAM duration, correct? Possibly 4 days? What is average min / max duration of the SLAM process?

Gracias everyone!

M

Visible algae = SLAM Process time
You haven’t filled out your signature to know what kind of filter & equipment u have but if u have the ability to vac large amounts of debris to waste you can do so.
Obviously this can waste alot of water so it depends on your situation.
The daily vacuuming can go through the filter if u wish.
Just be sure to backwash/ clean filter when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. This happens much faster than normal when slamming.
* yes - filter 24/7 during slam
* slam lasts however long it lasts.
No real way to guess. No minimum/maximum. Just keep going until u pass ALL 3 END OF SLAM CRITERIA.
The more often you test fc & replenish slam level the faster it will go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.