IG Pool Completed ✔️ Build Thread 📸 FINAL THOUGHT

Nice Pool design.. I really like free form pools, and free form spas are rare.. they are usually just round. I cant believe I missed your thread as well.

It should be easy to call a materials yard, one that sells that type of stone and ask them how much 250 sqft of stone in that type is.. So is he charging you more for the extra masonry work as well? They must have a rough per sqft rate, that doesn't include setup time.

Also I would have spaced the equipment pad out from the house wall more. Give your self more room to work back there in case you need to service something... AND as Kimkats implied.. less noise for whatever is on the other side of that window.
That’s a good idea on calling a local yard and seeing how much fieldstone is to cover approx 250sq ft
I don’t even know if that’s a real # or what they just are telling me
You can see from the pics that the stone work is a lot and hard to tell from the CAD drawing how high the perimeter wall really is it was supposed to be abs the extra coverage needed for the stairs

so when the contract says “vaneer wall” there are a lot of assumptions in the

equipment pad:
Good point on next to wall - luckily this is a furnished basement albeit we use it regularly it is no bedroom
Think they tucked it in because the gate swings in front of it and they tried to maintain the existing plant bed line

it’s done now so not much I can do to bring it out 6” I don’t think - wish I thought of it prior and gave them direction

thanks for your response and insights 👍

Drainage installed and I believe 16 ton of gravel backfill around perimeter with some clean dirt on top

Will likely put a nice earth tone pebble rock around perimeter a few feet to create a barrier to grass (any suggestions???)

Masons have been here all week and making good progress and think they are doing a great job

We have LOTS of stonework; they started Flagstone coping today and once all is finished will post more pics

Think they have a few days left if I were to guess then it is plumbing and equipment next

Going to have them install some low voltage soft lighting on stair steps and retaining wall for light illumination at night

Not sure how much longer we have ..... maybe 4-6 wks

Pool color undecided still - was thinking Pebblesheen Ocean Blue but that might a tad to dark as our yard is 1/2 shaded ..... 1/2 sun
We want that lagoon look
Any thoughts ????
8A45888D-4433-4E86-9565-A69ACC89ED9E.jpeg5281FD48-62C6-4181-B175-8A510E20B0B2.jpeg93672CAA-6205-4D01-828E-4C0DB57BD37B.jpeg6F5F7B38-35D7-434F-94E3-570D1B95888F.jpeg2923FC7C-F03D-474D-AB1C-718C6A09CF80.jpeg7757B9A9-3348-4654-9FA1-0A7B719D727F.jpeg

OH MY GOODNESS! Those steps!! LOVE how they came out!!!! WOWZER!
Thx @kimkats, you will get a kick out of this....plumbing was done the other day and I noticed a dead line that should have been for one of the 2 led bubbles...guy came out today and had to dig under one of those finished stairs and find the plumbing stub for bubbler to connect into...lucky for them they found it buried pretty deep without having to break apart the stair to find 🙄 (eye roll).... next up is to fix the spa niche light, then inspection and electric next week plus all the drainage, then more gravel backfill then decking

Question....we only have 500 sq ft of Ivory Travertine decking in contract...have a feeling we will need more...sub is telling me probably about $13.50 sq ft for material/installation for added decking....does this sound reasonable ?

Appreciate it
Still undecided on interior color ...we are thinking Pebblesheen Ocean Blue, Granite or Blue Surf

Thx @kimkats, you will get a kick out of this....plumbing was done the other day and I noticed a dead line that should have been for one of the 2 led bubbles...guy came out today and had to dig under one of those finished stairs and find the plumbing stub for bubbler to connect into...lucky for them they found it buried pretty deep without having to break apart the stair to find 🙄 (eye roll).... next up is to fix the spa niche light, then inspection and electric next week plus all the drainage, then more gravel backfill then decking

Question....we only have 500 sq ft of Ivory Travertine decking in contract...have a feeling we will need more...sub is telling me probably about $13.50 sq ft for material/installation for added decking....does this sound reasonable ?

Appreciate it
Still undecided on interior color ...we are thinking Pebblesheen Ocean Blue, Granite or Blue Surf

We were quoted $20k for 1,500 sqft of ivory travertine, which comes out to $13.33 per sqft, so your quote at least lines up with the quote we were given.

Reactions: Riddler0520
Geeze.. that is like 4 or 5 feet from the spa spillover to the water line in the pool? So I guess no jumping directly into the pool from the spa, huh?
That’s right, no jumping from spa in this pool, especially seeing that’s the shallow end 😳

Just under 4ft spill over to waterline and 4ft wide spillover....we placed the spa intentionally at the highest point of elevation (5ft total elevation variance), to try and create that dramatic effect and waterfall sound...really curious how it will all turn out
The spa itself turned out larger than I thought as it’s about 10ft x 8.7’,,, almost like a splash pool for the kids to screw around it, no toe to toe like most
There will be a 24”sheer decent in one of the raise far back walls of setting the bench and a few bubblers in Baja shelf

That’s right, no jumping from spa in this pool, especially seeing that’s the shallow end 😳
What that is going to be DRAMATIC!... that is a HUGE drop. Can I bring my kayak over to fly that drop? 4 feet of water is more than enough for me!

One thing that I noticed. That corner where the stairs are looks pretty tight? it looks like some place where a robot will go in and never come out. I fear you may be hand brushing that spot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What that is going to be DRAMATIC!... that is a HUGE drop. Can I bring my kayak over to fly that drop? 4 feet of water is more than enough for me!

One thing that I noticed. That corner where the stairs are looks pretty tight? it looks like some place where a robot will go in and never come out. I fear you may be hand brushing that spot.
I’ll post pics and a short link to a video clip when all is completed...I as well as others are curious what that spillover will look and sound like....I thought about the same thing after stairs were in, will need to see how the robot handles that space...we wanted the stairs off to the side so not to take up usable space but agree, where they meet the wall, might be tight.....will be a good test...first custom build, I don’t imagine we got every element right and will likely have a few regrets and considerations for the next adventure after all is done....we hem/haw about everything and just decided to go all in and pull the trigger and think through as much of the design elements as we could...

Appreciate your feedback and follow

I’ll post pics and a short link to a video clip when all is completed...I as well as others are curious what that spillover will look and sound like....I thought about the same thing after stairs were in, will need to see how the robot handles that space...we wanted the stairs off to the side so not to take up usable space but agree, where they meet the wall, might be tight.....will be a good test...first custom build, I don’t imagine we got every element right and will likely have a few regrets and considerations for the next adventure after all is done....we hem/haw about everything and just decided to go all in and pull the trigger and think through as much of the design elements as we could...

Appreciate your feedback and follow
Close up of stairs area ... not sure really how the robots work when it comes to stairs, walls etc...something else to research and learn

Attachments

• 246A76C0-1300-4EA0-B8D7-61DC9550CDDA.jpeg
    246A76C0-1300-4EA0-B8D7-61DC9550CDDA.jpeg
    829.4 KB · Views: 83
a dead line that should have been for one of the 2 led bubbles
How did you notice this? and who runs a dead line??? NO pride in their work :(

..lucky for them they found it buried pretty deep without having to break apart the stair to find 🙄 (eye roll)
WHAT???? Yeah it is a good thing they did not have to mess up MY pretty steps!!!

Steps............I have an idea. I will work on it and share it in a bit.

Close up of stairs area ... not sure really how the robots work when it comes to stairs, walls etc...something else to research and learn
I totally see how you wanted to use that space for the stairs, that makes sense. But it looks like a dead cove where there would be not much circulation. Is there a return jet that can flush out the area? I can't see from the pic. The closest one I see is on the other side of the hump in the wall from the spa, yes? I don't know if its worth considering extending the stairs out to make a bigger inside diameter on the curve where the stairs meet the wall. I'm just a thinkin out loud.

steps.jpg
See how I "pulled" the bottom step out. That blocks off that pinch point. That area will be a problem with any cleaner and junk collecting there. That is really not useable play or swim space any way to it does not take away from the pool.

Robots-some of them do climb steps and such but not very often. My hope is this will stop any problems.

I also though about pulling all of the steps that way to make them even.

How did you notice this? and who runs a dead line??? NO pride in their work :(
It wasn’t the plumbers fault - they ran the pvc and conduit to the stairs and didn’t know where the rough stub came out from the bubbler so just left it until they sent a guy out who dug under the stair and finally found it - sure the masons who put in the stairs saw it or maybe they didn’t but all is good - they have now connected the bubbler without tearing anything up - always something

See how I "pulled" the bottom step out. That blocks off that pinch point. That area will be a problem with any cleaner and junk collecting there. That is really not useable play or swim space any way to it does not take away from the pool.

Robots-some of them do climb steps and such but not very often. My hope is this will stop any problems.

I also though about pulling all of the steps that way to make them even.
Thanks for the thoughts as I can totally see this now - won’t removing the bottom step create to much of a drop from the 2nd step to the pool bottom ? Sure there is some factor they use for stair rises ?
There isn’t a return there for circulation (we have 4 return lines) - one in the Baja shelf but not that corner/stairs

what am I looking at from a maintainer issue standpoint ?

Thanks for the thoughts as I can totally see this now - won’t removing the bottom step create to much of a drop from the 2nd step to the pool bottom ? Sure there is some factor they use for stair rises ?
There isn’t a return there for circulation (we have 4 return lines) - one in the Baja shelf but not that corner/stairs

what am I looking at from a maintainer issue standpoint ?
Think I misread the recommendation - I think both are suggesting pulling the bottom step out and have it just “fillin” that void area so the robot doesn’t get stuck there - so that bottom step would be a landing area really

I’ll discuss with PB - is that just forming it out and pouring some concrete - nothing structural so an easy add

Separate question
I’ve read that it’s completely normal for a Gunite shell to have water penetrate through during curing as it’s porous and then I read another article stating weepers need to be chipped out and fixed

when you are looking at the Gunite shell - how do you know what’s normal and what is a concern ??

posting 2 pics - can take closer ups if needed

Attachments

• 2BD1DB39-67DA-45D7-A0B8-546D9AD0D2B3.jpeg
    2BD1DB39-67DA-45D7-A0B8-546D9AD0D2B3.jpeg
    359.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 3F931559-D1D7-423F-AEAB-339EB9CF44CD.jpeg
    3F931559-D1D7-423F-AEAB-339EB9CF44CD.jpeg
    356.4 KB · Views: 100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.