IFCS for heating?

naperthrill

Apr 29, 2020
Frisco, TX
Looking at best way to heat up pool efficiently when designing our pool. I plan to get a robot so don't really need IFCS for "cleaning". However, friends who have one say they like them as they help to heat up the pool more efficiently. Can anyone point me in other methods of achieving this without investing in an IFCS. if its still worth having the IFCS even though we will get a robot anyways, certainly can look to do that as well. Just wanted to consider best practice/options for this use case.

I assume they have it in their mind that introducing the warmer water to the bottom of the pool heats things better, like heated floors in a home. Hopefully they didn't install it because of that, because that's more sales pitch than reality. Pool water is heavily circulated so it should be a pretty consistent temperature throughout. As such it doesn't matter how the water is reintroduced to the pool, it heats all the same.

For the most efficient heating you want your water circulation system to be running fast. Heating a lot of water a little is more efficient than heating a little water a lot, so the most water moving through the heater the better it works. Also having the pool covered helps retain the heat, especially at night. Those are just about the only places to truly increase heating efficiency.

Thrill,

That is more of a "I bought this thing, so now I need an excuse to justify buying 1970 technology to clean my pool" thing... :mrgreen:

You live in Frisco TX.. You will not be using your heater much, if at all, for the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: naperthrill
You could have several returns plumbed lower in the pool walls. This would do the same thing, and be much less expensive.

I have an IFCS, so I can understand where they get that logic. It is literally one of the sales pitches. I love my in floor as I don't have to mess with a robot and putting it in and out of the pool when I need to clean or want to swim. I went with the IFCS because there was no way to, after the fact, add it. It is very easy to turn it off and just use a robot, after the fact. So spending that extra money was worth it to me. So far, almost 4 months in to my pool, I am happy I have it. Time may prove otherwise. But it'll be a while before I can offer my thoughts on it. But I certainly would not get it just to more efficiently heat the water.

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.