If it ain’t broke - when is a good time to replace equipment.

Bluemanpool

Jun 30, 2022
San Mateo, CA
Hello
I am new to this forum, but my pool is now 10 years old and starting to show signs of equipment wear and tear such as 1 of the two pool pumps, up and quitting on me. The main pump which runs the pool seems to be working ok, but the pump that controls the pool fountain is no longer working. Also, the cylinder White pool filter that we clean twice a year, is getting a bit old, showing signs of staining like it was smoking cigarettes for too long, may be affecting my Polaris robotic pool cleaner ( sometimes ) because of limited water pressure coming out of the outlet/inlet.So maybe after 10 years of good pool use, replacing both pumps, instead of just the 1 pump that is no longer working, perhaps replacing the filter, anything else? Might be a worthwhile consideration.

BTW, I live in San Mateo, CA where the temperature is not as warm as in other places. The solar heating for our pool is currently heated at 78, as it is a bit cool and overcast today. But it works really well. So well that I only run the heater 1 time per year to keep the spiders out and to avoid replacing the pool heater sooner than expected. For our 600‘ pool, we are running 600’ solar (100% coverage) which I highly recommend in the lower climate areas such as mine.

Thanks very much for any thoughts or ideas on perhaps replacing both pumps, even though 1 is currently working, or any other best pool practices without spending so much money that I still can’t get to grow from the trees.

What a fantastic question. I look forward to hearing what the guidance will be. Always wondered whether there is a rule of thumb to replace items after a certain number of years or to just wait until each one dies.

If your main pump is 10 years old it probably has limited life left. Since that's something that you don't want to get stuck without for any period of time, it might be a good idea to go ahead and order a replacement to have on hand. Plus, they're not likely to get any cheaper in the future.

I usually replace my cartridge filters every 3 years. In spite of cleaning them, they eventually seem to get gunked up somewhat. If you remember what your filter pressure was when the cartridge was new, if it's 25% higher now you are due a replacement. I buy them on Amazon for less than I can find them locally.

As for other cost savings, do you use our TFP method? With a saltwater pool, I only spend $200-300 per year on consumables (salt, CYA and muriatic acid) which I buy online or at local big box stores. I never go to a pool $tore.

Reactions: kul
Welcome to TFP! :wave: There are no hard & fast rules of when to change equipment items. Typically it's based on failure (electrical, mechanical, leaking, etc). Some items like your filter vessel for example, become faded or tarnished from the sun, but otherwise work perfectly fine, so some might give the filter a light sanding and apply a fresh topcoat of paint. Some filters become so old however that it's not cost-effective to replace an item (i.e. multiport valve, hardware, etc), so total replacement might be a better option. Some people also paint their exposed PVC lines for protection. 3-Way valves generally start to leak when their O-ring get old and brittle. A fairly easy DIY task.

Pumps/motors are the hearts of our pool so those generally require our attention the most. A good motor could last 7-10 years. We've seen some go bad in just a year or two, and some last up to 15 years. As long as the pump/motor is holding prime, not leaking, squealing, and moving water all is good. Since you recently had one pump go down, you'll be in the market for a new Variable Speed pump since VSPs are mandatory in CA. When you want to get some detailed replies about your pump options, I would recommend starting a new thread in the Pumps/Filters sub-forum and post some pics of your pad so we can see the hydraulic demands required for your pool. Also be sure to update your signature - see mine as an example.

Pool Care Basics