If a plaster pool is drained, how soon must water go back in??

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
If not planning on dong a reno, and just draining for the sake of wanting to replace the water - how soon must that be done? Isn't it bad for a pool to sit with no water in it for a length of time? I seem to recall that when my reno was done back in '14, I was told the water has to go in asap. Or is the issue only with new plaster? I'd like some thoughts on it.

Isn't it bad for a pool to sit with no water in it for a length of time?
It can be. Two of the most common concerns are an elevated water table that can cause the shell to shift or pop up, the other is places like AZ with intense heat and UV that don't want the plaster exposed to the sun. For most in the country (any pool type), the shell moving is the #1 concern which is why we say to leave at least about 18" of water in the pool or never go lower than the bottom step.

TS...thanks. Interestingly, when my pool company drained and renovated, they didn't even open the relief valves. No problem thankfully. I suspect, based on that, there is no hydrostatic pressure under the pool - or at least surely wasn't at that time. I was surprised they took the chance since they and I discussed it several times before the draining.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I have drained mine and refilled a few times. We are up on a hill so I don’t have to worry about the water table.

But I fill mine pretty quick, I am more concerned about a person or pet falling in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.